Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy H8 1420a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have a mid Tower HP ENVY H8 1420a PC and my secondary HDD failed and I replaced it.

When I attempted to start the PC it wouldn't but the green light on the PSU was blinking.

It's a pretty old PC but it does the job (when it's working).

Best I can make out it's a 300w max  @ 25c

Part Number: 667893-001

Is there a specific PSU I need or can I just go to a local PC parts dealer and pick up a standard ATX compatible PSU? 
Would a 450w be suitable or not?  Thanks for any assistance ... appreciate it in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@tropolite 

See where the screws are on the power plug.  Those are "ears" (old school 40 years ago).  Unless the back of the computer cut-out for the PSU will allow these is the question.  The 2 pictures of the rear of the PSU are not the same. It is also a discontinued product.   Bad review   Exploded

You want quality, get a Corsair CX650 and be happy.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

first off to change out the HDD #2

do not hot swap parts, and cables inside any PC or  you will latch it up.

to cure that do this.

gen 3 cPU not chopped liver.

if PC is latched up from that or ESD

do hard reset above. link,\, oK? this will work on any latchup event.

did you first do the 10 second intel rule (and hold the power button in for 10 full seconds and release it?0

this is first.

best i can tell cant see yours, is the PSU is ATX spec full sized case 5.9  x 5.5 .x 3.4?  deep varies only, 4 min. max huge.

first hit on ebay is here.

one simple way to reset any PC worst case is unplug the power cable over night,

then put it back and think about all caps inside now fully discharged and all chips inside (UNLATCHED UP)

chips do that for ESD protections, (or hot swap H3LL) all a good thing, and no damaged chips,

The has normal SATA power cables so do not buy 2004 PSU lacking those.

there are 2 MOBO power cables 24 and ,4 pin do not forget to put those back and DO NOT hotswap parts, AC cord removed from wall is the only correct way .

is your RTC coin cell above 2.9vdc, if not it is BAD>,  pc is 9 years old, RTC  battery is due...... ok, first things first.

if all this fails do strip down PC test.  this finds things that short and overload any good PSU , by DESIGN.

that is it on dead PC.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Hi Savvy2

Thanks for your recommendations.

I've been in the IT world for a little while and aware of removing power from the PC before making any changes inside. Have replaced parts in a number of PCs/Notebooks.
Yes, I've recently replaced the Lithium CR2032 button battery (when I installed a new SSD drive into the system. And I've tried the suggestions you wrote and also linked to with no success.

The PSU is cactus I believe. From one of the other threads talking about similar issues (Green led flashing/no power), it's more than likely the Capacitors in the PSU are either blown or old.  A suggestion that proved effective on the other thread was to use a wife's hair drier to push warm air into the back fan ... and for many that worked. For me though I don't have a wife or hair drier so that's out of the question.

Being in Australia I'm finding it hard to find a local supplier for this PSU (thanks for the ebay link), or a replacement to the Lite On PS 5301-02 (HP PN# 667893-001). I may be able to get the capacitors replaced as that seems to be another option and just need to find an electirical repair shop.

Appreciate your suggestions though ... thanks.

HP Recommended

@tropolite 

The PSU is a standard ATX 24 pin main and 4 pin AUX PSU.  Measurements should be:

Standard ATX PSU measurements (324 x 212).jpgIn the AU:  take the unit to verify it will fit. I do not like the ears on the first PSU.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/silverstone-strider-essential-st40fes230-400w-80-plus-power-supply-...

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/silverstone-sx300b-300w-80-bronze-sfx-power-supply-ac29358

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Wb2001

Not sure what you mean by 'ears on the first one'?

By your recommendations I'm assuming the fan opening has no bearing. My original PSU only has the fan grills at either end and none that I can see on the bottom or top of the PSU.

If that is the case and all I need to ensure is the right connectors (ATX regular) and number available I can get one the same dimensions but at a higher wattage and don't need to stick with 300w? I'm presuming that would be advantageous if there is a higher load on the system?

A local supplier has these available...  https://www.msy.com.au/cooler-master-thermal-master-oem-420watt-tm420-psarm3-bu-power-supply-unit

Looking at the dimensions they are correct and connectors seem to be the right ones... As you suggest if I take my old PSU in for comparison I should be able to pick on up today or tomorrow which is far better than waiting for one to be delivered. 

Not sure of the brand though? Any last thoughts?

HP Recommended

@tropolite 

See where the screws are on the power plug.  Those are "ears" (old school 40 years ago).  Unless the back of the computer cut-out for the PSU will allow these is the question.  The 2 pictures of the rear of the PSU are not the same. It is also a discontinued product.   Bad review   Exploded

You want quality, get a Corsair CX650 and be happy.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Much appreciated with your final response wb2001.

Thanks for the terminology lesson and FYI I checked and the 'ears' are in the right location based on the original PSU.

However I also appreciate your recommendation of steering away from the Cooler Master brand and will look to see if I can grab a Corsair or similar quality.

Once again thank you for your valued input I will also do the Kudos marker for your assist. Appreciate it again.

Have a great week.

HP Recommended

@tropolite 

Thank you for your kind words. Glad I researched that Cooler Master PSU model.   Power supplies are built by subcontractors and poor designs can creep into the mix.

Here is the cross reference list of who makes what PSU and for whom.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.