Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix h9-1350
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have an old Envy Phoenix h9-1350 and was wondering if it was worth trying to upgrade the graphics card for better gaming, or if it just isn't worth it if additional mods to do this are costly enough to warrant a new desktop (upgrading the power supply, etc). If it is possible to do this reasonably, does anyone have a recommendation for upgrades? Please be aware I am not a computer expert by any means, but I'm pretty good mechanically and can probably handle it by searching online for instructions and tips. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

not dash eo or dash ef must old 1350  ( 9 years young)  1350eo, 1350ef

gaming with what games,  AAA $600 games at 3D rate like METRO LL? what FPS goals. 30 or  90  or more.

There are 12 GPU card makers and 1000s of models,  I run  GTX1650 and is great, and fast and 75watts (no new PSU) and no AUX 12v power cables to it ,  (but  your  PC has the 2 aux cables )PCI-E power connector (for high-end video cards): 2

the PC to MOBO jacks are 24/ 4 normal ATX PSU.

The PSU looks normal to me. sizes and cable ends.

best practice is buy a card you want and send it back if not wanting it , like from newegg dot com.

Go there see VAST CARDs THEN SEE  LEFT SIDE THERE WITH VAST CHOICES OF features.

endless only you can decide, port type, and more. nothing is more complex  upgrade. GPU,

some folks want to use  HDMI ports to use TV as monitor, see how what you want do use matters?

1: fits case NO HIT things, , seems so to me, full height cards.

2: using HDMI or DP or old DVI? ports on monitor

3: not overload the slot, no not this pc. this PC will do 75watt slot.

4: not overload PSU , not the GTX1650 but the RTX2070 needs huge PSU,  500 watt s up. 200watt card.

5; last is UEFI if Pc boots now to UEFI safeboot, the PC may not like any card not made by HP> (IDK only HP knows) but is a line item never to skip,.

I see this PC had CTO PSU option of 600watts  is yours? must read the tag to know what that PSU can do. in any DT made.

but the product support page shows.

6: not ovehheat the case, a 200 watt card may overload exiting fans,  not sure me this PC , fan counts. case fans? rear yes.

i think no problem rear fan should handle heat of over 75watt cards easy.

good luck.

spec: PSU.

PCI-E power connector (for high-end video cards): 2

600w

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Hi, and thanks,

I’ll try to respond as best I can (remember I’m not a computer expert by any means)

First, here is the info for my HP Envy Phoenix h9-1350 (taken from the original Amazon listing):

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3770 Processor

12GB PC3-10600 DDR3

2TB (7200RPM) SATA; 16GB disk-caching 2.5 solid state drive

Integrated Bluetooth 4.0 and Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n featuring Dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 2x2 MIMO technology

AMD Radeon HD 7670 graphics card with 1GB GDDR5 dedicated memory. Up to 4830MB Total Available Graphics Memory

As for gaming, I’m not that serious, but I’d like to be able to maybe run a flight simulator or some other modern “racing” or “shooting” games. I don’t spend a lot of time gaming, but would like to have something fun to do once in a while without getting too complicated (especially now during the pandemic)

So, if I could upgrade to a card that requires no other modifications (plug and play) and can handle the types of games mentioned, then I’d choose that option. If so, which would be a “best recommendation”?

If it’s just better to buy a new machine, I can also do that…I just wanted to know if there was a quick/easy way to upgrade to handle most modern games without pauses, black screens, etc.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi again,

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have an Acer S271HL bid 27” LCD monitor

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

hi

@Sherman44 I made it simple ..
I have the same type of computer, it has the same motherboard, and power supply I think

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-pavilion-hpe-h9-1200-phoenix-desktop-pc-series/5258492/model...

if it s this one :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03518194

I had the opportunity to test a gtx 1070 graphics card originally it has an AMD Radeon HD 7950
This card is suitable, but may not be found anymore.
It was an HP graphics card, so let's see if the other models can be compatible
In any case, I had the right connectors, the power supply is sufficient, and it was not bigger than the original one!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi,

I did a little more research over the weekend and found this additional information:

Motherboard

Manufacturer name: Pegatron

Name: IPMMB-FM

HP/Compaq name: Formosa

SSID: 2AD5h

Chipset

Intel Z75

Processor 3.4 GHz (8 MB cache)

Again, I'm not an expert, but hopefully this can help...thanks!

HP Recommended

this is what I told you, the same motherboard indeed!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.