Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
M01-F0013na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought new PC, runs fine, but not fast, only 4GB RAM. Checked specs on HP website for the motherboard (Erica), "Supports PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200)". Bought and installed a second stick, "HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4-3200" as per spec. Recognised and running ok after boot, but only at 2400 speed. Can't find any method ofchanging the RAM speed, can you help? Original 4GB RAM still inplace and running at 2666.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@M01-F0013na , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

Every model that I can find in the same series as yours has DDR4-2666. This means it would be the maximum speed that the motherboard would support.  HP would have to add a XMP to the BIOS/UEFI to overclock the memory to DDR4-3200.  Once I have the Product Number of your computer, I will check to see if I can find the specifications for it.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hi,

Product number: 2B5X9EA#ABU

i checked the motherboard spec before buying, as I was getting a good deal (£229) on a low spec tower, aiming to add RAM and SSD immediately, and when processor/graphics cards prices likely drop back to normal over the next year to add those for a bit of FlightSim fun.

It's an Erica botherboard for AM4 processors, with PCIe 4.0 and 3200MHz RAM support so a bang up to date budget platform.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-desktop-pc-m01-f0000a/38096274/model/38322886/document/c0643...

I tried running the new 8GB DDR4-3200 ram alongside the provided 4GB DDR4-2666. The new ran at 2400, the old at 2666. When only the new 8GB stick was in, it ran at 2400. That's when I went looking for BIOS settings and XML etc.  After so much hassle trying to find settings readily available on other systems, and becoming so unhappy with it in the first days of ownership, I have decided to return it. It's boxed up awaiting the courier this morning. As Marie Kondo advised me, if it does not bring joy, it must go.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @M01-F0013na!  You are absolutely correct.  When I reviewed the Product Specifications it shows DDR4-2666.  Honestly, I didn't look at the Motherboard Specifications, Memory upgrade information section.

I know that HP doesn't add XMP's to their BIOS/UEFI to overclock the memory to higher than what the specifications show in their lower priced models.  The basic memory speed is DDR4-2133.  So, the memory has already been overclocked to reach DDR4-2666.  I will bring this discrepancy to the attention of the appropriate people within HP.

HP Recommended

@M01-F0013na 

Another thing that will limit the speed of the memory is the processor.  Here are the specifications of the processor: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-athlon-pro-300ge

As you will see, it supports memory up to 2667 MHz or DDR4-2666.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.