Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 30L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I found out that memory upgrade is not possible with aftermarket memory modules, or at least,  if you want to run memory  with nominal speed. If I add aftermarket memory ( 2x 8 GB DDR4-3200) speed is dropped to from 3200 to 2400. 

( Stock setup : 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 RGB -3200 8 GB modules, memory part number :HP32D4U8S8HC-8XR ). 

According to previous messages to this forum, you have to buy special memory from HP. I am somewhat disappointed to this policy.  This should be clearly mentioned on marketing/sales materials.

Will be there fix to this issue ?

And if I replace all the memory modules with new aftermarket modules, speed will be 2400 despite of modules nominal speed. e.g. if I add 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600,  actual speed will be again 2400 ?  Please verify this !

And final question, where these special modules can be purchased ? Link please ?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

You need to provide the complete product number so I can check memory specs for the motherboard. HP uses three motherboards (MB) in the 30L series (two Intel-one AMD).

HP consumer MBs don't support BIOS overclocking. This means any memory speeds above 2400 have to be programmed in the BIOS. Your board may max at 3200, or 3000, or 2933, or something else. HP is not going to fix this, this is by design. MB manufacturers can do whatever they want.

The best place to buy compatible memory for your MB is from HP. Use the HP Parts Store (Link) or HP Part Surfer (Link). You need the PC product number or the memory part number to see if what memory purchase options are available from HP. 

Also check Crucial Memory (Link) if memory upgrades are not available from HP. Crucial will make it right if the memory is not compatible with your MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your response. HP should state clearly  that user cannot upgrade memory by using aftermarket memory modules. ! And if aftermarket memory is used, memory speed is dropped from 3200 to 2400 Mhz.

Anyhow here is my PC details :

Serial number:  [Private information removed] Product number : 366M2EA Memory:  HP32D4U8S8HC-8XR ( this pre-installed memory module - kingston HyperX Fury DDR4- 3200)  Could you kind show what is compatible memory ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.