Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen 880-144
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! 

I have a HP Omen 880-144NO, from 2018. It has i7-8700K 3.70 GHz CPU (6 cores). 16 GB ram and RTX 1070 GPU, i think..

I have never done any PC building/upgrading before. I have only inserted an extra SSD and HDD, thats it. But I want to upgrade to RTX 3080, which means i also have to upgrade the PSU, which is only 500W. As far as i've understood, this shouldn't be a problem, just replacing the power cables with the new ones. The only thing that could go wrong is if it doesn't physically fit to attach, I think? I've looked at new PSUs (probably want 850W), and they look pretty simialr in size. But if anyone knows that my PSU is some custom size that can't be easily changed, please let me know. 

Similarly, if all goes well with the PSU, I am guessing the only thing that could go wrong the the GPU is the size as well? The RTX 3080 is bigger, and I'm not entirely sure if it will fit. There is also some kinda "bracket" that holds my current GPU in place (by the power input), I guess. Is this possible to remove? Otherwise I'm not sure I can get a 3080 in here? And if i do need to remove it... How will the 3080 be held in place..? 

Adding a picture below 🙂 Any and all tips and advices are appreciated 🙂 

IMG_20201125_153118.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

no comment on bracket

there are 12 maKERS OF CARDS.

And many version of 3080,  sold 1 fan up to 3 fans, and too long 3 fans , I use a ruler, first, the find cards that fit as simple as that.

the new card will have PCI-e(12v) aux power jacks, 6 or 8 paint or even mixed 6/8 and that is the 12 OEM card making decision.

next it PSU that has those cables most have two cables each with 6/8 split plug, so are UNIVERSAL, we do love ATX spec.

hp not so much. The PSU spec I can not find,  nor cables sets and the book skips PSU replacement.

then not overheat the case, if case fan there, then ok

the new RTX 3080 burns 320watts of wasted heat aLL BY itself , the 2nd hottest card on earth>? , maybe. nah 3090 is 350w

OOPS #1

the mobo has  8 pin nonstandard ATX CPU power jack , std is 4.

so PSU is your first problem,    4 x 24 is ATX spec, not 8  x 24.  nor what the extra pins do?  oops might be fan controls PSU or other things. real HP photo.   NON ATX !

omen.JPG

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.