Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 880
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I recently got a HP omen ryzen 5 1400,

I want to upgrade the processor to one of the listed compatible Ryzen 7.

I've researched all the old threads,used google and reddit but can't find a definitive answer to upgrading the CPU Cooler.

I found a Omen 880 Aio cooler used will this fit the processor without needing to change the back plate?

I read that the 120mm Corsair H series fit directly onto the standard back plate but due to the motherboard pump header being 4 pin and the Corsair being 3 pin it causes a minor error on boot,are there any usable 4 pin header pump coolers available now? I emailed Corsair support and they recommended I get the H80i V2.

Any help is much appreciated 

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The AMD motherboard (MB) for this HP product line is a Higos (Link).

I would carefully check the MB CPU backplate mounting point dimensions. The Higo's MB appears to have a square mounting system similar to Intels CPU mounting system.

AMD uses a rectangular CPU backplate mounting system.

May folks in this forum hit a roadblock when attempting to upgrade to a more powerful Ryzen processor requiring an upgrade to the HP supplied CPU cooling system because the Higos MB uses a modified CPU backplate mounting system.

I have never installed a after market AIO CPU LCS which did not require using the backplate included in the installation kit.

The Ryzen 7 1700 (65 watt TDP) should work with the current HP fan/heatsink, the Ryzen 7 1800X (95 watt TDP) may run hot when you stress the CPU.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

Thanks for the welcome and reply.

I really want the 1800x as it's the best available,

So worst case scenario is the Omen Asetek Aio just wouldn't fit my current MB.

I've read people fitting socket LGA1151 coolers directly to this motherboard without changing the back plate.

HP Recommended

Hi Mike1984,

You're very welcome.

Do you have a Omen Asetek AIO CPU LCS installed in your PC now? It should be okay if it can handle a 95 watt TDP processor.

It is possible HP is using Intel's backplate mounting points on the Higos MB. You would have to measure. One other possible problem is each system (Intel vs AMD) provide different backplate/MB contact points which are insulated to prevent shorts. This only applies if the backplate is metallic. Many AIO backplates are non-metallic.

People in this forum with this upgrade problem never confirmed if the standard Intel MB backplate mount points matched the Higo's backplate mounting points.

I have never worked on this motherboard so I don't know what options are available.

You would have to find someone with hands on knowledge or do the verification yourself.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

Thanks again for the reply,unfortunately i don't have a 95 watt TDP or Asetek AIO currently installed,it's the Ryzen 5 1400 configuration,it has a MSi RX580 OC 8gb so i'm thinking the CPU will bottleneck,its been awhile since i've been involved in PC's and technology has obviously increased in a major way.

Like you mentioned this problem was never properly addressed as fixed although i'm sure many people have upgraded successfully.

I will try the Omen CPU LCS first directly,if that doesn't fit i will try a corsair AIO directly,i will remove the MB as a last resort to upgrading CPU and Cooler.

HP Recommended

Hi Mike1984,

You're very welcome.

Sounds good.

Let the forum know how it goes and if the Corsair AIO LCS Intel 115x backplate works on a HP AMD Higos MB.

That would be helpful to many folks in the forum.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.