Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk 875-0030qd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been playing AC Odyssey  in 4k the past few days (runs around 40fps which works for me when couch gaming), and my RTX is hitting the low 80s almost as soon as I start the game up. When I searched, I found another thread with a few folks who are having the same problem, but unfortunately it was closed before an actual solution was found. There is just a list of possible solutions, and I was wondering if anyone found one that works. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Omen-875-0024-high-temp/td-p/69...

If this thing is going to run in the low 80s out of the box like this, and there is nothing to do about it short of changing the cooling on the actual card, it is not a good sign of things to come. Sure it is under the maximum limit, but I would like it to last more than a couple years. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Forgot to mention I can't feel any kind of airflow generated by the exhaust fan on the back of the case. I checked to see if it was installed backwards, and could not detect any air movement on the inside either. I am kind of baffled how a fan that size (its small but large enough and spinning fast enough I should feel something) does not produce a detectable amount of air movement.

My last PC, which is actually sitting unplugged right next to this one, had a slightly larger fan who's airflow was easily detectable with a touch test.  

HP Recommended

@lswanie

Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I see that you're experiencing an overheating issue with the HP Omen RTX2080 desktop,
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:

Let's update the bios and check:

Step 1: Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption

To prevent possible problems, disable BitLocker before updating the BIOS.

CAUTION: If BitLocker is not disabled, the next time you restart the computer the BitLocker key might not be recognized. If you do not know the BitLocker recovery key, you might lose data or need to reinstall Windows.
  1. Search Windows for 'bitlocker', and then click Manage BitLocker in the results.

2. Click Suspend protection, and then click Yes to suspend protection.

Suspending BitLocker protection

Step 2: Get the computer product number, ROM Family SSID, and current BIOS version

To find the correct BIOS update, obtain the computer product number, the motherboard or system board ID (referred to as the 'ROM Family SSID' in the BIOS update name), and the BIOS version.

1. Press and hold the Ctrl and Alt keys, and then press the S key to open the utility.

HP System Information window

2. Write down the Product Number, Motherboard ID, and BIOS version number.

Step 3: Install the BIOS update

Download and install the correct BIOS update for your computer from the HP Customer Support website.

1. Go to HP Software & Driver Downloads, and then enter your computer product number.

NOTE: 

If you upgraded to a new Windows version, in the Selected operating system pane, click Change, select the original operating system that came with your computer, and then click Change.

Change your computer operating system

2. Look through the available software for BIOS, click it, and then confirm it is a higher version number and it is for your processor type.

• If the update is correct, click Download. Follow the on-screen instructions to save the file to your computer. Do not select the option to Run the file.

• If the update is not correct, view the details of other available BIOS updates. If there are no other updates, the computer does not require a BIOS update.

• If BIOS is not in the list of available software, an update is currently unavailable.

3. Close any open applications.

4. Temporarily disable your antivirus software. Search Windows for 'security', open the Security and Maintenance settings, and then click Security to access virus protection settings.

5. Browse to the folder or desktop where you saved the downloaded BIOS update file.

6. Find the file name (example: sp12345.exe), and then double-click it to start the installation.

CAUTION: Do not shut down or restart the computer until the update process completes.
  7. Follow any on-screen instructions, and then restart the computer when prompted to complete the update.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I did some random things before reading this response, and I am not sure what I did that actually fixed the issue, but I think it was one of two things.

I erased all of the nvidia software (geforce experience etc.), and I unplugged and replugged the power running to the gpu and the exhaust fan and pulled the bundle of extra wires at the bottom of the case down, slightly farther away from the gpu. Temps are down to the upper 70s under load now. I think (and this is a total guess) some of the unused wires may have been obstructing air flow, as they are situated pretty close to the single fan on the gpu.

Random question, and I may start another thread if I cannot find the answer in a search, but what brand 2080 is in the omen? I cannot find a brand name on it nor can I find a look a like anywhere online. Is it a HP specific card?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@lswanie

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue and to inform you its NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 graphics.

Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.