Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion 15cs3003ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

For the past couple of weeks, my HP pavilion 15cs3003ca is making a very loud & strange noise from the right side of the laptop, right below the speaker & I am guessing it is from its fan. The noise continues for a couple of minutes & after that noise goes down to a normal level of hp fan. This is just a year-old laptop.  The noise & vibration is too loud that it feels like someone is screeching.

Can someone please help me with this?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The motherboard controls the speed of the fan, depending on the temperature of the main processor (and the processor that is is part of the graphics adapter). So, the hotter it is, the faster, and noisier, the fan will be.

Open the Windows Task Manager, and switch to the Performance tab, and see what percentage of the total processor's maximum capability is being used.

Also, is the laptop sitting on a hard surface, not a table-cloth or your lap? Some laptops have vents in the bottom, that are intended to draw cool (room-temperature) air inside the computer. Sitting on soft cloth will partially block those vents, which causes a higher temperature inside, and results in the noisier fan.

HP Recommended

As per my experience, it has nothing to do with the motherboard or the percentage of the processor because the noise starts coming as soon as I log in to the computer. and keeps humming for about 2-3 minutes & then stops buzzing, but after 30-40 minutes again the noise comes and the cycle continues.

HP Recommended

the noise starts coming as soon as I log in to the computer. and keeps humming for about 2-3 minutes & then stops buzzing,

If your computer has an Internet connection, then Windows runs "start-up" tasks:

* calling home to update the anti-virus software,

* running a "quick anti-virus scan",

* calling home to check for updates to the Adobe software,

* calling home to run Windows Update as a "background" task,

* downloading new E-mail messages.

Each of these processes "works" the processor, for a total of 2 or 3 minutes.

>  but after 30-40 minutes again the noise comes and the cycle continues.

If you stop using the computer, it soon becomes "idle", and the Disk Defragmenter app will start to run, as a "low-priority" task, and that app will exercise the disk-drive and the processor, and the additional heat generated by the processor will cause the fan to speed-up (and become more noisy).

HP Recommended

the fan speed is dependent on the CPU or graphics card temperature. When youre not using it make sure it sitting on a hard surface and also when youre using it make sure you put it on a flat hard surface with the vents not blocked..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.