Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-516na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a Hp Pavilion 500-516na, I'm looking at upgrading the graphics card to a Radeon r7 360x just to give it that extra bit of boost but on the specs for the graphics card it says it need a 500w power supply.

Looking at the power supply specs in my machine it says it only has 180w? 

Would it really be that low to run the whole machine and if so I'm guessing I would need to upgrade the power supply also?

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're good to go.

You have to coordinate the power requirements of the replacement graphics card with the wattage output on the new power supply (PS).

Also check measurements of existing PS when purchasing a new PS.

One final consideration is BIOS vs UEFI . You have UEFI. So the new graphics card has to support UEFI or have the capability to toggle between either protocol.

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Please see here for power supply replacement options. Your PC's power supply may or may not be upgradable.

Your PC sports a 180 Watt external power supply, much as a notebook PC would have.

The specifications for your PC can be reviewed here

Don't think you can install an internal power supply. Hard to say without opening the side panel to inspect the inside of the tower or seeing the back of the tower. Is there an opening at the top back of the tower to accommodate a power supply fan? 

You do have internal PCIe expansion slots available on the motherboard.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

hp-prodesk-600-g1-twr-i5-4590-4gb-500gb-dvd-win8-7pro.jpg

Thanks for the reply. This what the back of the tower looks like. Looking at the Inside of the case it looks like a normal power supply there is no brick on the plug like a laptop

There is a graphics card installed in the slot that I want to replacement. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're good to go.

You have to coordinate the power requirements of the replacement graphics card with the wattage output on the new power supply (PS).

Also check measurements of existing PS when purchasing a new PS.

One final consideration is BIOS vs UEFI . You have UEFI. So the new graphics card has to support UEFI or have the capability to toggle between either protocol.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.