Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0008
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just decided to add additional SSD ADATA SX8200 Pro M.2 2280 512GB to my PC. I'd like to keep the existing HD and Optane memory. Thus the only way to install SSD is the PCIex16 slot (via adapter). The SSD was installed, connected, initialized and HDD cloned by Acronis True Image. As result I have correct copy of my system disk. Also the BIOS was changed (Boot order). Only one problem - the Windows can't start properly. After few seconds I can see the windows picture with password frame and... dark screen with small moving circle (mouse). So, what I did wrong or what I have to do in order to use my new SSD and old HD? Any help would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @AlAr_NW!

@AlAr_NW wrote:

Thank you, old_geekster

But HD was successfully cloned, all files are identical. I can see and manipulate...

What the problem it would be in theory?

Also, what do you think about using the pci slot?

The best idea would be to remove the Optane and use the SSD socket.  The Optane won't make much, if any, difference on a storage drive.  If the system boots you will know that the SSD is compatible.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@AlAr_NW , welcome to the forum.

I need the full model of your computer.  There are two letters at the end, such as, ur, no, nb, nf, nl, nq or na.  Which is yours?  Here is a guide to help you find them:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

HP Recommended

Hi,

My PC is 590-p0008na

Thank you very much...

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @AlAr_NW!

I believe that your problem is the fact that the SSD is not compatible with your system.  I suggest that you contact ADATA's Tech Support to see if they can tell you if it is actually compatible or not.  They are the experts on their products.  They usually know which systems are compatible with their products.

HP Recommended

Thank you, old_geekster

But HD was successfully cloned, all files are identical. I can see and manipulate...

HP Recommended

@AlAr_NW wrote:

Thank you, old_geekster

The best idea would be to remove the Optane and use the SSD socket.  The Optane won't make much, if any, difference on a storage drive.  If the system boots you will know that the SSD is compatible.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much indeed. I had the same idea. The Optane was disabled and SSD was installed instead. It looks OK now. I can start Windows from SSD (HD is disabled in BIOS). Can I ask you a question - is it possible to swap the letters C: <-> D :?

Regards,

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @AlAr_NW!

@AlAr_NW wrote:

Thank you very much indeed. I had the same idea. The Optane was disabled and SSD was installed instead. It looks OK now. I can start Windows from SSD (HD is disabled in BIOS). Can I ask you a question - is it possible to swap the letters C: <-> D :?

Regards,

Yes, you can change the Drive letter: Disk Management (right click on Start {Windows logo} and select Disk Management/right click on Drive/select Change Drive Letter and Paths.

HP Recommended

Thank you, but it is not so easy - you can't rename the system disk via disk management, unfortunately...

HP Recommended

I suggest that you disconnect any other drives to see if that makes a difference.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.