Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 24-xa0053w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I'm really liking my newly acquired (refurb) Pavilion 24 All In One, especially after upgrading the ssd from Octane to a 1Tb nvme.

However, I've tried to add a second 4GB DIMM, using the same model (Samsung M471A5244CBO-CTD) that the computer came with. Either DIMM works fine alone as DIMM1 (the lower / closer to mobo slot). But if i try either stick in DIMM0, alone or as the pair, I get the dreaded 3+2 beep error. The stick appears to seat fine, and with no debris in the slot. Can I conclude the DIMM0 slot is broken, and only DIMM1 can be used?

Also, it came with the wireless keyboard and mouse (model 800?) which look quite nice, but there's apparently no USB receiver dongle that came with them (neither packed in the box nor stashed inside the mouse). My understanding is that this means this perfectly fine-looking keyboard and mouse set are now useless landfill?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Are the keyboard and mouse wireless devices that require a USB receiver, or are they Bluetooth devices that communicate with a Bluetooth wireless adapter inside your computer?

If the 2nd DIMM slot does not work, exercise the warranty to get it fixed/replaced.

Are the specifications for the two DIMMs identical, in terms of speed & latency?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply!

The mouse and keyboard seem to require a USB receiver. There is an open space for it inside the mouse (next to the battery compartment) for when not in use. I've tried using bluetooth, but they do not show up as such.

The 2 DIMMs may not be a "matched pair" per se (if that's defined as sequential serial numbers or similar), but they are the same part number, specs, layouts, etc. But they probably were not made within 5 minutes of each other.

As far as warranty, the seller has offered a refund (perhaps they don't have any more available as replacement?). But it doesn't really seem worth the trouble (risk) of trying to . Perhaps I can't run dual-channel, but a single 8gb DIMM is cheap enough (I can sell the 2x 4gb), as are the Logitech universal wireless keyboard/mouse sets.

However, it would be nice to know for certain if the DIMM0 slot is indeed broken, and if the missing receiver means an HP 800 mouse/keyboard combo are useless.

HP Recommended

The mouse and keyboard seem to require a USB receiver. 

USB is not a "wireless" communication protocol.  Most"wireless receiver adapters" connect via USB  to the computer.

If the keyboard & mouse are "wireless", then they either communicates via either BlueTooth or WiFi protocol.

Many newer computers have a built-in Bluetooth adapter, such  that any Bluetooth keyboard (or mouse) can "pair" with the adapter, without needing a plug-in  adapter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.