Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I will just turn my computer on an a few minutes later it will shut down on me can someone help me please 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Mystery7,

Your computer is shutting down after a few minutes of use.

Make sure that there is not a build of dust inside the system by cleaning the vents with compressed air. The system may be over heating.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
Run the startup test.

This will test all the hardware in the system and detect any problems.

If the entire test pass.

Turn off the computer.
As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

Let me know how everything goes

HP Recommended
I have an all in one - Hp 1155 running win 8.1 same issue. Tried self test but shuts down about 2 mins into the test. I tried to sneak around and test components - same issue... hard drive?
HP Recommended

My friend's HP Pavilion All in one PC has the same problem.  I checked the fan and it had no dust in it.  I concluded it was a design fault in that the fan was not powerful enough to keep the CPU from overheating and the computer shutting down to stop the CPU from getting damaged.  I also found that it was the GPU was also overheating.   The only way I could keep the computer from shutting off was to have my desk fan blowing full bore into the back of the computer.  Because the computer is out of its warranty, I looked for a way to install an extra fan into the back of it.  I could not find any way of connecting another fan on to the mother board.  However, I discovered that I could connect a fan through the USB port.  I happened to have a USB cooling unit that I used for my daughter's Acer which had the same problem.  I took it apart, got the three small fans out of it, bored three holes into the back of the Pavilion,.  I made sure that one of the holes was right over the CPU.  I then hot glued the fans over the holes, taped the small circuit boards that controlled the fans to the back of the computer, plugged into the usb port and all three fans started up.  I used the computer to watch two spaghetti westerns that evening, and have had the computer on now for two and a half hours this morning.  I have CPU temperature monitor software installed and the GPU is remaining stable at 45 degrees.

The setup doesn't look too elegant, but because it is at the back of the computer, it is not visible.

Incidentally, I got the cooling unit on line from a source in China for $13 NZ.  So the solution didn't cost me much at all.  For anyone who is having similar problems and is ready to throw the HP Pavilion away in disgust, my solution may be useful to them.  It is a good computer when it is going well.  So go to ebay (I go to ebay Australia from here in New Zealand) and see if you can get a cheap USB fan cooling unit.   All you need to do the holes in the back of the HP is a drill and a coping saw, plus a hot glue gun.  Be careful not to get glue into the blades of the fan like I did and lost 2 blades from one of the fans.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.