Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having trouble my pc is this one: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06378057

As far as I can tell that's the correct one (I bought it from currys and it matches my specs).

I would like to add a graphics card (something like 1660). I need a more powerful PSU. I've asked on several forums and no one seems to be able to help sufficiently. Can anyone advise me what PSU would fit (would it need to be custom). From previous suggestions on forums it seems a standard PSU may not fit (the cables may not fit into the motherboard) and the mounting points may be different sizes because of the case.

Thankyou

edit:

the graphics card might be a 1050 ti. I might have to buy a HP power supply from HP and that may only be up to 300 watts but that would be better than the 180watt internal power supply I have currently. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@butter9087432,

The 400w has the PCIE 6+2 power plug.

Is this now considered solved?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@butter9087432,

You are right to come here!   I have been doing research for months, and have a continuously (bi-monthly) updated spreadsheet (shown here) on the HP proprietary PSU that are used in the various models. Your unit is supposed to have a GT 1030 2GB card, and the nominal 180W PSU. I have now added it to the spreadsheet. (Will re-publish it soon).

Let me explain the series units:

The series started with the 590's circa early 2018, using the Lincs and Sunflower motherboards. Then came the 595, and later the 690 series. All use the same Linc and Sunflower boards, so all share the common heritage of the PSU.   The cables are universal to all. The added difference is the addition of a PCIE 6+2 power plug with the 400W and 500W.   Some of the 310W units are supposed to have a PCIE power plug, but which model of the 310W is unknown, nor is it known if it does exist, is the plug a 6 pin or 6+2 pin.

About the mounting points:

The bottom of the case has a button latch in front of the PSU, that keeps it from sliding forward.  Because of screw patterns, only 1 rear screw lines up on typical cases. The ventilation is out the rear (exhaust), so the frame does slightly overhang the fan's exhaust. (No reports of an issue).

Based on the GTX1660 (130W), IMHO you need the 400W.  It has the power PCIE 6+2.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

thanks for the advice i'm going to put L04618-800 inside it. it will have a cord for GPU right?

thanks again

400W

HP Recommended

@butter9087432,

The 400w has the PCIE 6+2 power plug.

Is this now considered solved?

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.