Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently bought a WD Blue 2TB SSD for my gaming desktop, but I can't install because the SSD doesn't come with a mounting screw. The retailer (Newegg) pointed me at WD who tell me that they don't provide the screw because the size varies with the motherboard and pointed me at HP. Even though I only bought the unit last fall, HP says my warranty has already expired. An exasperating process for a simple screw - very grateful for any help.

Product: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0067c

Product Number: 3LA37AA#ABA

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Gatito Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are looking screw for the HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx mounting screw for m.2 SSD.

601010-001    SCREW, M2 x 3L, BLUE THRD LK, ZINC

You could purchase the part from HP, use the HP Parts surfer to identify the part: http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx 

And order it via the HP Parts store: https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/CountryChoice.aspx?mscssid=&ccode=ZZ&lcode=ZZ 

Or alternatively, Contact HP for setting up an order/service via phone support   

Or you can contact the local service center to purchase the screw.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I didn't check to see, but I'm sure HP is charging too much for this part. First though, your PC didn't come with a m.2 ssd pre-installed? I know that may be a silly question but I was in the same position thinking I needed a screw until I realized I already had one in the computer. 

If not, go to ebay and search "m.2 screw",,honestly they are all the same size. Many options which have several screws and a screwdriver for less than $10 US shipped. 

best of luck

HP Recommended

@jwwagner25

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact local stores and purchase the screw.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

The previous response wasn't from me - it was another helpful user offering some advice.

If all m.2 screws are the same, the answer is simple. I have ordered some.

The frustration in all this is that (a) the requisite mounting screw isn't on the motherboard (b) it wasn't supplied with the WD SSD, (c) I contacted NewEgg support, WD support, HP support, all of whom gave me different answers.

WD told me that they couldn't supply the screw because they're 'different for each different motherboard'. HP support was significantly the most helpful - with many thanks Praveen.

All for the sake of a simple mounting screw which turns out, based on this helpful response from @jwwagner25, to be a standard screw of a standard size.

Thank you again. A month or so into this, I hope to be able to install the SSD soon.

HP Recommended

@Gatito

There will not be a similar screw on the computer. 

I would suggets you contact local service center and fix that screw.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I totally get your frustration with the (not so) merry-go-round of being told "we can't help you, go here" just to be repeated the same thing. Very common occurrence sadly. 

Hope to hear that you were able to get it installed once the screw arrives.

Best of luck, 

Jake

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.