Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2285t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought this computer and want to upgrade the SSD to a 1TB and the RAM to 32GB. Does anyone know which parts would be compatible with this computer? I've bought the wrong parts in the past because I didn't ask, so I don't want to make that mistake again. All I know is that on the custom configurator for this series of desktop, it says "32 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)" for the RAM and "1 TB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory" for the SSD

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

"32 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (2 x 16 GB)" for the RAM + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory" for the SSD and "1 TB Intel® SSD.

Those are "high-end" specifications for those current parts, as is typical for any "gaming" computer.

Before you spend any money, launch your game, play it for a while, and then launch the Windows Task Manager, and switch to its "Performance" tab. You'll see how much of that 32 GB of RAM is being used, and how much is NOT being used. 

Also, hold-down the "Windows" key (bottom-left of your keyboard) and tap the "E" key, to open File Explorer. Release both keys, and right-mouse-click on the icon for the "C:" disk-drive. You will see a pie-graph, showing how much of your 1TB of disk-space is currently being used, and how much is NOT being used. If it shows that the "used" space is only 1/4 of the 1TB, then there probably is NO need to spend your money to upgrade it.

How many slots for RAM are present on the motherboard? Just 2 (both currently occupied), or 4 (currently with 2 empty slots) ?  If you need to buy RAM, be sure to get "DDR4-2933" with the "Optane" feature, preferably made by the same manufacturer (ELPIDA? CRUCIAL? MICRON?) as the current sticks of RAM.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.