Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-al062nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About two months ago, my computer began having issues with charging the battery (an HP SE03XL). I first noticed this issue when my battery dropped to 54%, in which pressing the battery icon on the taskbar would show "X% available (plugged in, not charging), in which X was whatever percentage my battery was at. The issue was resolved temporarily by unplugging and plugging the AC Adaptor to the computer, but after several minutes of being plugged in (and sometimes increasing the battery percentage by 1%), the prompt would return to "Plugged in, not charging." I tried several methods to resolve this, unplugging my battery, uninstalling and reinstalling the battery drivers (Microsoft ACPI-Complaint Control Method Battery and Microsoft AC Adaptor), attempting to update the battery drivers, updating my BIOS, and running CCleaner. None of these solutions fixed the issue. I eventually ran the HP Battery Check on HP Support, which returned a prompt to replace the battery.

Since I couldn't find the exact battery model in the HP Parts Store, I bought a replacement battery on Laptop Battery Express. Even though the battery worked on the computer, Windows 10 could not recognize that a battery was installed in the computer. Any time I ran a battery check using HP Support or HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Window, the computer would result in a blue screen, with the operating system restarting. I received a second battery due to the failure of the first replacement battery to work, but the second battery would not insert correctly into the computer. As with the first battery, the battery icon returned with "Plugged in, not charging." Unlike the original battery, this issue was not resolved by plugging in the AC Adaptor. To my surprise, when I put in the old battery, the battery began charging, with even an estimate of how long it will take for the computer to fully charge.

After about thirty minutes, the computer charged from about 45% to 48%, with an estimate that it would take 4 hours and 38 minutes to fully charge, but this value would not increase. When I unplugged the AC Adaptor and plugged it in again, the battery decreased to 47% and the estimate time increased to 5 hours and 34 minutes, but the battery began charging to 48%. I did a battery check while the computer was at 47% using both HP programs previously mentioned (and even the AC Adaptor under the Hardware application), which returned the status of "Okay." Once it reached 48%, I redid the tests, with both the AC Adaptor and the battery failing. The battery failed under the code 

q4xem3-8ah91q-mfpx6k-c08w03

I took out the AC Adaptor and plugged it back in, and ran the tests once more (while the battery was still at 48%), and the tests indicated that the battery was "Okay." However, there was no more indication of how long it would take for the battery to charge. It reached 49% before appearing to not charge anymore (note that, upon reinstalling the old battery, the battery icon doesn't indicate "Plugged in, not charging" except for the split second between when I insert the AC Adaptor and when the battery actually starts charging, though the HP Support program recognizes that the battery might not be charging). I ran the programs once more, and the same error message appeared for the battery.

I do not konw what to do at this point to resolve the issue. I've already attempted at replacing my battery twice, both times in which the battery failed, and there seems no other option to buy a new battery other than buying them secondhand (whose quality is questionable). I also don't know which other procedures to do that requires no battery installation. Most of all, I don't know why the HP Battery tests can't seem to agree whether my battery or AC Adaptor needs replacing or not. If there are any suggestions that you can provide, please let me know. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BriM1,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that you are having issues with the battery on your computer.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score

I checked the specifications of your computer and see that your computer has 4-cell, 55-Wh, 3.62-Ah, Li-ion battery (Spare part no: 849908-850).

I recommend you contact HP phone support and they will assist you in ordering a new battery for your computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to autodetects

Scroll down to “Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options”

Scroll down and click on HP contact options – click on Get phone number.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Your feedback counts!

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BriM1,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that you are having issues with the battery on your computer.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score

I checked the specifications of your computer and see that your computer has 4-cell, 55-Wh, 3.62-Ah, Li-ion battery (Spare part no: 849908-850).

I recommend you contact HP phone support and they will assist you in ordering a new battery for your computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to autodetects

Scroll down to “Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options”

Scroll down and click on HP contact options – click on Get phone number.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Your feedback counts!

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much! My new battery ordered directly from HP just came in today, and it works like a charm! This is the first time in months that my (now new) battery has charged past 50% or 51%. The new battery charged from 21% to 88% in the span of just an hour! I ran several battery checks too (and AC Adaptor tests, though I also replaced my AC Adaptor just to be safe), and they all pass, even when I take out the AC Adaptor and plug it into the PC again.

HP Recommended

@BriM1,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.