Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hey All,

My grandparents purchased a HP Slimline 400-034 from Bestbuy (refurb, sigh), and it suddenly won't power up now after owning it for 4 months. When I plug in the Power Cables to the PSU, the light is green. When I hit the Power Button, the CPU fan quickly spins, but the computer will not power up.

I'm quite certain the PSU is good since it has the green light on the back, and the CPU fan spins briefly. I've unplugged the CD-ROM, and USB ports in the front to reduce power load, but it still won't power on. Is the Mobo done, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Follow the steps in the guide. My opinion is the power supply is BAD. Those PSU's are TFX.

The HP site gives a measurement 7.9 x 3.3 x 2.1 "  NewEgg has replacements here and here

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

You can use this PSU test guideline. It actually a generic guide.

If the CPU fan stops, all will stop. Look at the PSU's green light, did it go out? It typical for the capacitors to charge up the green led, and these briefly power the  CPU fan. Then all is 'gone".

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Yup, that's exactly what it does. It spins briefly, and the green light goes out. Then if you hold the power button in again, the green light will come back on. If you hit power again, the fan spins once again, and then the light goes out.

Anything that can be replaced cheaply for troubleshooting? 

HP Recommended

Follow the steps in the guide. My opinion is the power supply is BAD. Those PSU's are TFX.

The HP site gives a measurement 7.9 x 3.3 x 2.1 "  NewEgg has replacements here and here

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I ended up getting my hands on a 300W power supply from an older HP box, and the system was able to power up. Thank you very much for the newegg parts that can be used as replacement. Really appreciated!

HP Recommended

Hi people.

I looked at the two PSU units on New Egg.  Some had purchase one for a 400-034.  It is too big, does not fit.  I then check size on New Egg, they are the same size.

I just ordered one of these from Amazon.  Same size, drop in replacement for part number 633195-001 (HP Power suply)

This seller also has a 300W and 350 W replacement.  I am just going with the 250W.

Thought this might help.  Looks like the PSU fail very often from HP.

HP Recommended

I have the same exact problem with my PC.. Did changing the power supply do the trick and if so what power supply did you buy??? 

I only had had this thing 13 months and yea it's one month outta warranty.. 

Funny thing is if I come home everyday and hit the power buttonli,e 20 times in a few days it will start up the one time and then be fine..

but then if I go to restart or power goes out then I'm stuck with same problem again..

I did take the PC apart and when I unplug the big plug from mother board the little led light will stay on when I plug power cord back in.. So just want to make sure that replacing power supply will work...

thanks for any help and I'm first timer out here and I. Am a dinosaur when it comes to computers but have a background in mechanics..

HP Recommended

I just had this problem with my 7-ish y.o. pavilion slimline and I was able to get it to power on by plugging the power cord in *while holding down the power button*.

I had tried everything else including all the suggestions here and taking the whole thing apart and re-seating the the power plug in the motherboard.

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Due to mis-information being posted, regarding the HP Pavilion 400-034 model,

I believe some clarification and education is required.

HP has used DIFFERENT power supply form factors for their Slimline series over past 10 years.

The 2-slot s3000 series (ARCHES, ARCHES2) placed the power supply at the TOP of the case and used Flex ATX size.

The 2-slot s5000 series placed the power supply at the bottom, and used the TFX form factor.

The 4-slot s5-1000 series placed the power supply at bottom, and used Modified IPC 1U Mini (Flex ATX) form factor.

Many Pavilion 400-series models have NO internal power supply (external power supply, like laptops), with no cutouts in the sheet metal to add an internal power supply.

The HP 400-034 uses part number: 633195-00.  This unit is rated for 220W.

The OEM power supply  (Bestec in Taiwan was one OEM supplier) Bestec FH-ZD221MGR

http://www.bestec.com.tw

--

Best Power Pro (Los Angeles) is one vendor of replacement power supplies.

http://bestpowerpro.com

KDM Power (Houston, TX) is another vendor

http://stores.ebay.com/KDMPOWER/COMPANY-INFO.html

Pavilion 400-034, s5-1000 series (dimensions): 150 mm (W) x 85 mm (L) x 53.3 mm (H)

Flex ATX / HP s3000 series, ARCHES (dimensions): 150 mm (W) x 81.5 mm (L) x 40.5 mm (H)
https://seasonic.com/product/ssp-300sug-active-pfc/

TFX Form Factor (dimensions): 175 mm (W) x 85 mm (L) x 65 mm (H)

https://seasonic.com/product/tfx-350/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.