Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a6042n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to replace the motherboard in my ancient HP Pavilion a6042n with a newer, more powerful one?  If so, which one would be compatible?  The latest Windows 10 update (build 2004) hosed the display - I spent hours trying to fix it and ended up reverting to a prior build since there are no updates for the nVidia GeForce 6150SE integrated graphics.  I found a post elsewhere re this model that suggested the owner use their PC as a backup, and that's definitely a possibility, but it also needs a new CMOS battery, maybe a new fan, a new graphics card and a new DVD drive (it's stopped working).  All those things are relatively cheap to replace, but if I'm going to do that I'd also like to upgrade the CPU and memory, hence the motherboard query.  I know I should probably just bite the bullet and get a new PC, but I thought I'd ask first if anyone has successfully refurbished this old workhorse before I set it out to pasture.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello
Ultimately it comes down to replacing everything!
given the problems you may have in finding a newer motherboard that will fit into the case
Difficulties that there may be with some connectors, the best would be either to completely change the computer ..
Either to find separate elements, a new tower that will more easily accept different motherboards

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.