Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion all in on 24 roxx

Hello Wonderful Team, 

I have one small issue. My HP wireless keyboard had coffee spilled in it by the dog. HE did his best to lick everything up but some seeped though the keys and it was a bit sticky. They keys were working. so I decided to try and take it apart. popped the hinge from the tabs. but I couldn't get it completely off. so I popped everything back together. Now they keyboard wont work at all. 

No lights no nothing. Can some one point me to how to take the keyboard completely apart so I can clean it out and possibly get it to work?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Well, the good thing is that it was had a wireless connection.

If there are no lights then it is probably dead. You can disassemble and try to clean it, but coffee, especially if it contained sugar, is the bane of electronic devices. If no leds lit, there must have been a lot of liquid that seeped inside.

I suggest that you would be better off replacing the wireless keyboard and dongle.

Here is the information on the wireless keyboard

HP p/n 928512-DB1Keyboard/Mouse Kit - WHT HP WRLS Swi+Bri MUS CA/EN

online sources

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ALeKk01ME2kqgh0EE5km0jBf64WI3CIlmg%3A160813...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you so much for your reply. but how do i completely open it up to determine if its completely fried or not. I was only able to get it parted but not completely open

HP Recommended

Keyboards are usually held together by Philips screws that are sometimes even hidden under rubberized strips or "feet"

If you tried replacing the batteries, and re pairing it and it still doesn't do anything, then it isn't worth doing anything but binning it.

I don't know what level of mechanical/electrical/electronic  savvy you have. I won't judge you. 

You can always look on YouTube to see if there are ideas on how to disassemble the keyboard or perform an internet search in the search engine of your choice.  That you will have to do on your own.

You can purchase a wireless mouse/keyboard combo or use a USB keyboard as a workaround.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply once again. I'm very tech savvy and I have also googled the wat to take a part or disassemble the keyboard but for this particular keyboard there is not much out there. 

I have also checked under the rubber strips and there are no screws at all. which i thought was kind of weird. I have also changed the batteries. This is not the issue at all. I have been able to successfully use the keyboard as i am using it now. But all the buttons are sticky. I have yet found any instructions or videos on how to take this particular  keyboard apart to attempt to clean it. 

Any idea how to do that?

HP Recommended

I suggest that you replace the keyboard. 

Keyboards are consumable items.

That is the downside of owning a dog.

Dogs don't know what they are capable of doing to modern technology.

Theydon't know any better.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.