Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2018uk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've recently purchased a HP Pavilion p6-2018uk which I've upgraded with extra memory (8GB) and a 500W PSU.

I'd like to upgrade to an external Grapihcs Card, but I'm having issues which I think from what I've read is to do with the BIOS. My motherboard is a Foxconn H-CUPERTINO2-H61-uA TX (Cupertino2).

Other relevert  specs:

Intel Core i3 2120

BIOS 7.16 (Latest) - Using Legacy Mode, not the UEFI (Many card these days require BIOS v8)

I have two graphics cards, but neither work.

The Frist is a new Nvidia Geforce GT 710 (1GB) - Passive Cooled - this will only work if you do the trick of waiting for the BIOS message to appear on screen and wait for the two beeps a minute apart then press the Escape key. This then allows you to boot to windows and install a driver for it. But this is a pain as you have to do this every time you switch on the machine even when the driver is installed.

Next up I have a used Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 ti (1GB) - with fan - this allows me to boot to Windows directly, but there is no response on the monitor, no signal. The cards fan turns (I've the extra power lead connected by the way for the card). As this is a used card I can't confirm it works, and I don't have means to test it on another box.

I've tried several suggestions, such as disabeling the onboard graphics via Windows, although as I've no power to the monitor I doubt it would work, and in tests it didn't.

The BIOS doesn't appear to have any settings to disable onboard graphics in case this was the issue.

I've no idea what to do next, other than ask advise here and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. If these two card aren't going to work, what GPU will work?

Thanks in advance,

Jay.

P.S. I don't have a big budget as you may gather, I'm not really interested in gaming for this PC, but I use Zbrush, Blender, Affinity Photo & Designer etc. So it's really just for Graphics.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is a fix for those of us with this horrible motherboard like mine (HP Foxconn Cupertino2). For me I found an easier solution than the method mentioned here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkBTSlBW2oc

I turned off wake on Lan and disabled the PXE Rom thing (I think that was all). The Geforce GT 710 will boot, but you have to wait for 2 beeps around a minute apart, then the PC boots into Windows. This you can do with some other cards, but it's trial and error. The YouTube clip link I added has various users cards mentioned that worked with this method.  Good luck!

Why HP doesn't recommend replacing motherbaords I have no idea, well unless you don't know what you're doing.

But it seems the only way I'll get my Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 ti to work is to replace the motherboard. I'll be staying away from HP and Dell boards though!

Jay.

View solution in original post

Note: You can just press F1 at the HP boot screen to boot it without the crackling noise. Pressing F12 without touching Esc also seems to work for some. Alt + F10 has been reported to work, too. Note 2: Not all Cupertino2s are built equal, it seems, and some of them will still fail to run free ...
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Jay-H

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion p6-2018uk Desktop PC and you have tried to add the Nvidia Geforce GT 710 (1GB) and Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 ti (1GB) seperately and both cards do not work. You have upgraded the power supply to meet the power supply requirements. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I did some researcha nd found that instaling the graphic drivers once for the Nvidia Geforce GT 710 should be enough, It shoukd not for drivers reinstallation each time you power on the PC. I checked for the latest formware update. However, this PC does not have any drivers or BIOS update available for Win10. There are drivers/BIOS updates available for Win7 and only drivers for Win8. 

Moreover, when you install a graphic card, it should automatically disable the onboard graphic card. You may try to perform a BIOS rollback and check if it helps: http://hp.care/2eK4dXa

I hope this helps. Feel free to let me knwo the outcome. All the best! 🙂 

HP Recommended

Hi Kazi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand about not having to install the Nvidia GT 710 each time I reboot, but I still have to go through the wierd boot process trick of waiting for the two beeps a minute apart on each boot, whether the driver is installed or not.

I'm thinking the only solution is to buy another LGA 1155 motherboard, but it's an extrememe measure, and these boards are getting harder to find. If I bought a cheap used board the likes of HP or Dell etc I could have the same issues. New boards are hard to find and can be expensive.

I've seen used Intel boards which may be better, but It'll cost a fair bit too, and what a hassle for something that should be a simple fix, but isn't.

Regards, Jay.

HP Recommended

@Jay-H

You are welcome. 🙂

HP does not recommend motherboard replacement unless a hardware failure is detected. The issue may be fixed by an alternate way. 

I suggest you to review this link for BISO beep code relates concerns: BIOS Beep Codes

Let me know. Take care! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

There is a fix for those of us with this horrible motherboard like mine (HP Foxconn Cupertino2). For me I found an easier solution than the method mentioned here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkBTSlBW2oc

I turned off wake on Lan and disabled the PXE Rom thing (I think that was all). The Geforce GT 710 will boot, but you have to wait for 2 beeps around a minute apart, then the PC boots into Windows. This you can do with some other cards, but it's trial and error. The YouTube clip link I added has various users cards mentioned that worked with this method.  Good luck!

Why HP doesn't recommend replacing motherbaords I have no idea, well unless you don't know what you're doing.

But it seems the only way I'll get my Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 ti to work is to replace the motherboard. I'll be staying away from HP and Dell boards though!

Jay.

Note: You can just press F1 at the HP boot screen to boot it without the crackling noise. Pressing F12 without touching Esc also seems to work for some. Alt + F10 has been reported to work, too. Note 2: Not all Cupertino2s are built equal, it seems, and some of them will still fail to run free ...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.