Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a recently new HP Pavilion model #: s5-1414.  When I plug it into the wall power, the green light comes on as expected.  However, after pressing the power switch on the front, the green light will fade.  Also the CPU and Case fan will turn on momentarily and then switch off.

I've tried a few things to debug this (mainly unplugging everything I can get my hands on), and it turns out that when the 24-pin power connector to the motherboard is unplugged, then the PSU light will stay lit after toggling the front power switch.

This seemss to me like either my PSU has gone bad (after less than a year?) or some defectivity (short) has developed somewhere on the motherboard.  Any ideas/advice for further debug?  Any help is much appreciated- thanks so much!

PS- I have tried the steps in Trouble Shooting Power Supply Issues without any luck, and there isn't really a path for "light is on but turns off after switching on power".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome!

This is a long shot, but I wonder if the power supply unit (PSU) has failed.  This doesn't happen often, but it is not impossible.  The symptoms can be caused by a PSU.  Here is a guide to help you troubleshoot it.

I bought a PSU several years ago and it was DOA.  So, a failed PSU can be possible.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

G-Rice, welcome to the forum.

Have you tested the memory?  You can do it two ways: 1) remove all of the memory replacing it one at a time and booting or 2) install "Memtest86+".  Since the computer won't boot, the first suggestion is the only one that will work.

Please click "KUDOS" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks old_geekster!

Unfortunately the response is the same even when my memory slots are empty.  Anything else I can try?

G-RICE

HP Recommended

You are very welcome!

This is a long shot, but I wonder if the power supply unit (PSU) has failed.  This doesn't happen often, but it is not impossible.  The symptoms can be caused by a PSU.  Here is a guide to help you troubleshoot it.

I bought a PSU several years ago and it was DOA.  So, a failed PSU can be possible.

HP Recommended

did you ever find a fix for your problem. My pc just startred doing same thing this morning. Light stays on if mother board unplugged but if plugged in and light on i hit power fan spins for a 2nd light goes out immediatly

HP Recommended

Yeah, I ordered a new PSU from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ0QW16/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and replaced it- works fine now.  Thanks for the help geekster!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.