Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Simple save hp sd500a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Simple save external drive is no longer recognized by any device either it's my computer, laptop, smart dvd. Therefore, i cannot view or update it's contents.

I believe it stopped working after failing to save a file. I am currently using windows 10 but had the same problem while I was using windows 7.

The model number is HPBAAC5000ABK-00 hp sd500a

Anything I can do to solve this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The HPBAAC5000ABK-00 hp sd500a simple save drive is an old device in computer devices and is just a hard drive in an external enclosure.  If you want to investigate what has happened, then open the enclosure and remove the drive from the enclosure.  Depending on the age of the drive, it will be either a SATA or IDE drive.  The enclosure provides the power connection and data connection to the drive.  If the drive is still working, you can duplicate the connections with a USB to STA/IDE adapter to test the drive and save the data to another drive or just use it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EpicDealz-High-Quality-USB-2-0-to-External-IDE-SATA-Converter-Cable-HDD-K...

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1...

You will need to adapter and external power supply that either of the ones I used as an examples, as a USB only adapter will not be able to power the drive from the USB port.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

so it worked before. and is 10 year old says manual for it. 2010 made.  so is SATA drive 2001 is last PATA so we can skip PATA.

most drives over 5 years old fail and x10 that dropped and is portable.

It was sold to XP users too and shows formatted to NTFS . and VISTA too.

It will work on any windows PC,

"it's my computer, laptop, smart dvd. "(did you try all USB ports on 2 PCs? to prove it is dead,)  simple test simple solutions.

does fail on all?

why did you say DVD, ok I think you mean I see all drives but this in EXPLORER (w10 THIS PC)

NO OS told by you ,as MY computer is not part of W10 key words,"this PC' is.

xp,vista,w7?

500GB hdd, 2.5"? there is no powerpack  (AC /DC) for this drive, and needs 200mA from USB port to run, noPC told.

USB connected. there all you need to know are those facts to make it work and nO PC told here.

and you failed to use taskbar, usb icon , eject and no files are scrambled, right?

1:try 2 PCs and all USB PORTs

2: try using DISK MANAGER< if it is missing, it must show up here , or drive is dead or USB port.

3: see if it or the USB ports are dead in DEVICE MANAGER.  sometimes USB3 are dead after w10 upgrade, sure. so use USB2 ports for now. if USB works then the drive shows up here as a drive, if missing here and USB is good, the drive is bad.

3b: if yes and yes all that works make sure in DISK MANAGER, the drive has  DRIVE letter , if not set one. ok its E: drive.

3c: now Explorer see the drive. E:? (or what ever it was or is now)  it must have a drive letter to work with it.

4: run the disk repair on this HDD see here. below. on E:

it will not work on any APPLE PC,

only windows. (NTFS) class PCs, as all are.

if it fails on 2 GOOD PCs then you must run data repair, APPS next.

plug in the Drive and hear windows sounds go ding dong for USB connect if not USB port is dead, turn on MS sounds /.

start here.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/repair-an-external-hard-drive-con...

the answer is , what is the extent of damage, nobody knows all you can do is do the tests.

if it has  drive letter (no it does not you said)

you can run chkdsk on it, per above.

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.