Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slim Line 260-a115nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, I recently bought a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD. I mounted it on my PC, but this refuses to go. The pc turns on and shows the post, but nothing can be done, it seems blocked. Can anyone tell me if there are compatibility problems? I tried to mount the disk on another PC and it works properly.

Please help me!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

On newer PC's with secure boot such as yours, they may not allow hardware to work that did not originally come with the PC.

This is usually the case with video cards, but in rare instances, it could also stop a SSD or memory from working.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if the drive will work if you enable legacy mode and disable secure boot in the BIOS.

See this link for the settings to change.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thanks for the quick reply but I had already tried disabling secure boot. In the meantime, I cloned the mechanical unit and tried to connect the SSD to the PC, through a USB / SATA adapter and incredibly the SSD is detected, windows10 tries to boot but at some point appears the infamous BSOD. ..it's normal! Connecting the SSD directly to the SATA, same problem. Everything freezes. What else can I do?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do about the problem.

HP Recommended

OK thanks anyway. We hope someone else has a solution. I really don't know who to ask.

HP Recommended

Does anyone know if there is a hardware compatibility list?

HP Recommended

@idrive72,

After you disconnected the original HD from the leads, did you use those leads for the new SSD

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Yes, I did everything perfectly. Nothing to do, always the same problem. Today I bought another SSD of a different brand (Crucial). I'm going to try. Will update.

HP Recommended

Nothing, it doesn't even work with the Crucial SSD. At this point I really don't know what to do! I opened a ticket with HP.

HP Recommended

@idrive72,

I would do the following as a test;

1)  install only the 2.5" SSD of the original hd's cabling. Do not have the hard drive hooked up.

2)  Go to the MS web site to download create win 10 installation media for either a USB, DVD, or .iso file. Read the instructions.

3) Run the installation media to install WIN 10. Skip the Product Key, if your connected to ethernet line, the unit will auto validate.

If that works it would verify the cloning process was a failure. What program did you use?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.