Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 880-079ur Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there!

I have OMEN by HP 880-079ur Desktop PC with HP Tampa Z270 motherboard (SSID: 8307) and 7th gen Intel i7-7700k Kaby lake (LGA 1151)

For some reason I need to swap my CPU with i5-6600k (LGA 1151, 6th gen Skylake processor, should be supported by Z270 chipset). But with i5-6600k CPU installed my PC doesn't boot, can't access BIOS. There is no any "beep code" to identify the problem.

I suppose that this motherboard somehow doesn't support 6th gen CPU.

Can anyone help, may be there is BIOS update or anything else to make it work?

Thanks in advance anyway

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The HP business desktop PC's such as the Elitedesk 800 G3 support both Skylake and Kaby Lake processors, as shown in the specs below.

But even their top of the line business desktops don't support the  i5-6600k.

HP Elite 800 G3 Business Desktop Business PCs

HP does restrict what processors can be installed in the consumer class desktop PC's and there is no way to make the  i5-6600k work.

I don't work for or represent HP, and I am not going to get into a discussion about HP's good and bad points.

You did not do your homework.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you look under the processor upgrade info on the first link you posted, it provides the list of the only supported processors.

OMEN by HP 880-079ur Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Processor
TDP
Integrated Graphics
Intel Core i7-7700K (Kabylake) 4.2 GHz Quad Core
91 W
Integrated HD Graphics 630
Intel Core i7-7700 (Kabylake) 3.6 GHz Quad Core
65 W
Intel Core i5-7600K (Kabylake) 3.8 GHz Quad Core
91 W
Intel Core i5-7400 (Kabylake) 3.0 GHz Quad Core
65 W

No 6th gen core processors are supported.

HP Recommended

Since all z270 MOBOs support 6th and 7th gens, it is just laziness and greediness of HP making some handicapped UEFI isnt it? So there is no way to make it work?

HP Recommended

The HP business desktop PC's such as the Elitedesk 800 G3 support both Skylake and Kaby Lake processors, as shown in the specs below.

But even their top of the line business desktops don't support the  i5-6600k.

HP Elite 800 G3 Business Desktop Business PCs

HP does restrict what processors can be installed in the consumer class desktop PC's and there is no way to make the  i5-6600k work.

I don't work for or represent HP, and I am not going to get into a discussion about HP's good and bad points.

You did not do your homework.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.