Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z400 workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Z400 workstation. The motherboard supports the installation of the Xeon processor x5680. The processor supports register memory. I don't know if the motherboard supports register memory ?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

what processor do you have now? Different motherboards are used for the Intel Core models using non-ECC memory and the Xeon, which must have ECC memory. You can't put a Xeon onto a motherboard made for the Intel Core. 

HP Recommended

The W3550 was originally installed, I replaced it with the W3680. 12Gb RAM with ECC

HP Recommended

Xeon to Xeon no problem

HP Recommended

I have a need to increase the amount of RAM to 48GB, and Xeon W3680 supports RAM up to 24GB. So I want to install Xeon x5680 processor, it supports RAM up to 288gb.

HP Recommended

HP's official specs say the motherboard can only accept up to 16 gigs of RAM (4 x 4 gig DDR3-1333 ECC DIMM) and does not list the x5680 as a compatible processor, but then again did not list the W36xx series, either. They all have the same socket so your processor might work, but is going to be hamstrung by the motherboard. I would say the most memory you could even hope to install would be 4 x 8 gigs = 32 so no way to have 48 gigs on that machine that I can see. Even 32 gigs may not work and frankly is not likely to work. The capability of the motherboard is going to limit what the processor can do. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.