Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z440 Workstation

Computer froze and a component test shows memory error with:

9QD9BR-000BGH-X87QRG-420303

Removed DIMM and re-test showed:

9QD9BR-000BGH-X87QRG-409703

Swapped memory modules and still error.

Bought new memory and now shows:

9QD9BR-000BGK-X87QRG-408703

So I don't think it is the actual memory.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Wayne

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

When the diagnostic error is translated with the utility, all three error codes show memory modules having failed.

failure error ID.png

The Enterprise class Z series desktops and workstations are very particular about modules installed.

When you replace them with new modules, ensure that they are guaranteed compatible memory modules.

Otherwise you will keep going down the same rabbit hole.

I suggest troubleshooting by removing all but one module.

Try booting up with each one separately in slot 0, the one closest to the processor to see which one is actually not working.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I know what it thinks is the fault as I did check the error. 

I did try individual dimm on different slots. I tried 2 brand new compatible with the z440 memory. 

Tried separately and together. 

So I was hoping for a hint of what else it could be as to have the 2 original dimms fail at the same time and brand new ones to have the same fault I suspect it is not the memory. 

Mother board? CPU?

Cheers

Wayne

HP Recommended

If the result was the very same error message, that could indicate a system board fault.  Use the Diagnostics to test the system board.

Is your z440 desktop PC still in warranty?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I ran though all the system tests. The only error is the memory. 

No it is not under warranty anymore. 

Can i get a replacement mother board for it or CPU?

Or what could I use as replacements?

Wayne

HP Recommended

This is my work PC.

I upgraded the m.2 ssd last year and had to purchase the expensive PCIE turbo adapter to go with it. I need to get the drive back up and running preferably in a decent workstation. 

I am not sure I can just put the m.2 drive in a different motherboard which has m.2 slots or I have to use the adapter and it will work in another PC.

Or do I have to get another HP Z4 or something?

64bit Windows 10 Pro by the way. 

Wayne

HP Recommended

Hi Wayne,

I just got the notification for this today.

You can purchase a replacement motherboard. There are used, refurbished and new motherboards available.  I would lean towards a refurbished one unless the $500.00+ price of a new one is not an issue for you.
You can transfer the processor and memory from the board with the dead memory slots to the replacement motherboard.

You can also use the M.2 SSD on the board as well.

Because OS licenses are tied to the system board, you will need to purchase an activation license for the Windows 10 Pro. They are available for around $20 online.  Let me know if you  need a source and I can find a link to where they can be bought. Here it is: 
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=britec09+windows+10+key

Here are some online vendor sources. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=HP+Z440+motherboard&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS918US918&oq=HP+Z440+motherboard&...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.