Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z400, Z420, Z230 & Z210
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I purchased four HP branded 2.5" 500GB Constellation 2 HDD's that were sold as being 6.0Gbps. These drives are too thick to be used in a Laptop and are made for space saving in a normal desktop. A popular disk utility software shows they are actually 3.0Gbps. The label on the HDD's shows both the HP model number and the Seagate model number. When searchng the HP model #'s,  the specs show up as 3.0Gbps, but when searching the Seagate model number, the specs show the HDD's are 6.0Gbps ? ?  As I stated BOTH model numbers are on the same label. Does anyone know about this, and is it possible that the Disk Utility software is reading this wrong ?  Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know if HP or Seagate will offer an exchange or a buy back ? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the seagate spec sheet on those drives.

Check the model number of the drive you have with the model numbers listed at the link below.

https://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/constellation-fam/constellation/constellation-2/...

I have zipped up and attached the free utility I use to check HDD speed and drive controller speed, below.

Run the utility, close out of the summary report window.

On the left side of the program window, click to expand the Drives category.

Click on the (S)ATA/ATAPI drives to expand that.

Click on the model HDD listed.

On the right side of the program window, the first report will show the drive speed and the drive controller speed.

So, a SATA III drive on a SATA III drive controller will report SATA 6GB/S @ 6GB/S

A  SATA III drive on a SATA II controller will report SATA 6GB/S @ 3 GB/S

SInce I don't work for or represent HP or Seagate, I would not know if either company would offer an exchange or buy back.

HP Recommended

Thank you VERY much for your response. However,  I think that perhaps you overlooked a key piece of information. The HDD's I have referred to are HP BRANDED drives that are manufactured by Seagate.  Both the HP model and part number as well as the Seagate model number are present on the same label of the HDD's.  I have already found the Seagate spec sheet when I entered the Seagate model number  for a search - ST9500620NS,  and the information presented shows this to be a 6.0Gbps drive, with a 1.4 million hours before failure rating.  But,  if you enter the HP model number - MM0500EBKAE- the information clearly shows this is a 3.0Gbps drive. This was backed up by using Crystal Disk software to verify the drive is 3.0Gbps and this was done on an HP Z400 and on a Z230 as well. Both of these workstations have more than 8TB of 6.0Gbps hard drives installed in them, so the controller should read this drive in question as what it is, 3.0Gbps. Thank you again, but my confusion is still intact.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.