Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to ask a question in another thread about upgrading HP 6305 SFF to NonSequitur777 but it is closed. 

Free HP compaq 6305 SFF fell of the sky. And so I have lots of fun reading about upgrading this thing.  After few days of researching I have one question. 

Can you transfer SFF into Microtower case?

Few follow ups. Would that solve the low profile GPU problem? 

And would it increased options for PSUs? I know that the PSU in SFF has a L shape and cant be replaced but what about the Microtower? 

NonSequitur777 in the thread below used power converter: "24 Pin to 6 Pin ATX Power Adapter Cable for HP 6300" to connect a better PSU. 

From NonSequitur777 pictures the AVG 500 watts AresGame PSU seams humongous. But maybe a different one would fit inside the case even if you would have to use the power converter.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-HP-Compaq-Pro-6300-SF... 

This is my first post here and I would have wrote to NonSequitur777 if I knew how. And it is my first time at upgrading anything at all.

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

@Michal212,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Yes, your HP Compaq 6305 PRO SFF motherboard p/n: 703596-001 will fit in a Microtower case as per HP PartSurfer:

703596-001
System board (motherboard) assembly (King Cobra) - For Small Form Factor and Microtower PCs

[EDIT:] In order to use any standard ATX 24-pin power supply under 1,000 watt, you can use a "24 Pin to 6 Pin ATX Power Adapter Cable for HP 6305" to power your desktop and just about any graphics card, and it will do so safely, smoothly and seamlessly.

Very simple to install: this currently priced $13.99 24-pin adapter connector fits in the 24-pin ATX power supply connector, its 6-pin "P1" and 6-pin "P2" equivalents fits onto your HP 6305 HP motherboard, and you use one of the ATX power supply's 4-pin "CPU" power connectors as the HP "P3" equivalent motherboard plug ins. Done. Easy-peasy.

Link: Amazon.com: COMeap 24 Pin to 6 Pin ATX Power Adapter Cable for HP Z220 Z230 SFF MT TWR Series 4000 6...

For more information what and how I did it: Solved: Upgrading HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF - Page 5 - HP Support Community - 8184303.  Mind you, as you already observed, there is not a whole lot of space inside an SFF chassis. In my "case", I had to park both my graphics card and my ATX power supply outside the case.  With a Microtower chassis, you may very well be able to fit both your GPU and a similarly sized (LxHxW) PSU in your MT case.  You just have to measure the HP 6305 PSU-area dimensions to see which ATX 24-pin PSU will fit.

Hope this was helpful!

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

yes you can swap case's. both use the same motherboard.

however the minitower uses a larger power supply that is shaped like AXT power supplies

you can also replace your current 6305 amd based board with the intel 6300 pro or 8300 elite motherboards both models use the same rear I/O port arrangements and are quite a bit faster with core 5/7 "S" suffix low power cup's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324451568380

6300 pro

https://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Pro-6300-Motherboard-657239-001/dp/B01N0ZKF0B

HP Recommended

Thanks guys. I got this 6305 SFF for free so I may bump into a free Microtower case later on or really cheap one.

I just though that  with todays GPU prices it might be cheaper/effective to get a Microtower case from somewhere and then buy a normal size GPU rather than getting a low profile GPU. 

I wont change the board. I would rather buy a new PC if I had to. 

I  got myself a new SSD and extra RAM so far.

HP Recommended

@Michal212,

You certainly would substantially increase your GPU options working with an MT case.

It also would be much cheaper to buy a standard ATX power supply that fits inside an MT using an inexpensive 24 Pin to 6 Pin ATX Power Adapter Cable for HP 6305.  Another benefit going this route is that ATX power supplies come with PCIe 6+2 / 8-pin power cables which almost all higher performing graphics cards require.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

finding a cheap case is not going to be easy as it's not a standard case ,..........it's similar to Intel's failed "BTX"  case style

i have both the SFF and micro tower versions of the 8300 elite

HP Recommended

Broken down PC with leftover microtower maybe from some magical place where they refurbish hundreds of these old fellas. You never know.

It was more like a mental exercise than anything else. I was just wondering how far I can push it. To tell you the truth the only game I am rarely playing these days is Heroes 3- Hota. No time and no drive to get hooked on something new. 

I prefer the SFF case since I have a small desk with no room under or around it. Also the free NOC monitor that I got with it can stand on it.  

HP Recommended

@Michal212,

According to "Company of Heroes 3 System Requirements": https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/company-of-heroes-3/21056, the minimum graphics requirement to play this game is a GTX 1060 or equivalent (such as the RX 580).

Problem is, that the OEM HP Compaq 6305 PRO SFF/MT power supply does not provide 6+2 / 8-pin PCIe power supply cables to power even the aforementioned modest graphics cards.

The ONLY cards you could use for your SFF or MT are graphics cards that don't exceed the 35 watt your PCIe x16 slot can provide.

Thus, any card more powerful than a GT 1030 2GB or the Quadro 1000 4GB will exceed that spec.

So, here are two graphics card options powered solely through a PCIe x16 slot that would work with an OEM HP 6305 PRO power supply:

GT 1030 2GB @ $119 from here, for example (as long as supplies last): https://www.ebay.com/itm/185370193889?epid=11018544282&hash=item2b28ecafe1%3Ag%3AfzkAAOSwm%7EZiScsB&...

Quadro P1000 4GB @ $160 from here, for example (as long as supplies last): https://www.ebay.com/itm/374112810384?epid=25027282083&hash=item571adc7590%3Ag%3AUVAAAOSwS0FimrZj&LH...

Mind you, these cards are ranked below the minimum graphics requirement for your game.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@Michal212,

And in terms of how much space an SFF with GPU and PSU parked outside on a small desk needs, as soon as I have a chance, I will take a picture of one of my kids' HP legacy desktop gaming rigs set up on his SMALL desk with room to spare for his keyboard, mouse pad and racing wheel.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

I meant heroes of might and magic 3 horn of the abyss. 

I though more about nvidia t 600 which needs 40watt dont know if I can.

From what I know some people say that you can go up to 75watts on that slot as long as you dont fit anything else in the nearby slots. Some fitted 1050ti or 1650 in there. What do you think?

You mean that I cant do it with my version of SFF or that that they got it wrong?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.