Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion 590-p0066
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am going to add a 1 TB SSD boot drive to replace the built in 1 TB HD.

Can I keep both in the system and are all the cables present to do this?

Took a quick look at the cage and it looks from the outside (without removing the cage/rack) like the 3.5 drive fills the cage.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solved my own problem!

BTW/ Many thanks to all who replied.

So the HP 590 p066 is not designed for a SSD formal mounting. I had to get creative to say the least. Also there is a spare power cable but not a spare SATA 3 cable. There is an extra SATA 3 port on the board labeled disk 2. I do not see anyway to easily add a 3rd drive since the DVD has that PORT on the MOBO.

Since SSDs do not need more that one tight screw I am fine. However I had to order SATA 3 cables as all I have is  SATA 2s.

2280 was not what I needed to do folks at this time. I prefer to clone my drives out side the case and make sure they are 10000000% working before open heart surgery. . 

2280 is for another project when I am 100000% sure it is the correct stick for this exact MOBO and I have my external 2280 dock set up. I have most of the pieces now but need a few more.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

The best idea would be to check if the M2 slot is present on motherboard and then install an M2 SATA3 SSD in the M2 slot.

You can see where M2 slot is on page 9 in doc below:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05934592

Example of SSD:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/pavilion-590-p0066/CT12475917

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Looks like the single flat piece of sheet metal for the cage is the full height of the box so you can attach a drive on the bottom .  Unfortunately you have to remove the cage to see if you have spare connections.  Might be able to stick a mirror behind the drive and spot the cable connections.  Not sold on a 2280 card yet.  It is easier to just put a reliable SSD in it.  Will try an ez gig  clone as that has worked well on  laptops in the past.

HP Recommended

@iomare 

Has made valid points.  Shame your not into th NVMe 2280.

@etp7 

Maybe this would persuade you.  Restart (reboot) time went from 62 seconds to 23 seconds

If you have the Optane card, read this now.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Solved my own problem!

BTW/ Many thanks to all who replied.

So the HP 590 p066 is not designed for a SSD formal mounting. I had to get creative to say the least. Also there is a spare power cable but not a spare SATA 3 cable. There is an extra SATA 3 port on the board labeled disk 2. I do not see anyway to easily add a 3rd drive since the DVD has that PORT on the MOBO.

Since SSDs do not need more that one tight screw I am fine. However I had to order SATA 3 cables as all I have is  SATA 2s.

2280 was not what I needed to do folks at this time. I prefer to clone my drives out side the case and make sure they are 10000000% working before open heart surgery. . 

2280 is for another project when I am 100000% sure it is the correct stick for this exact MOBO and I have my external 2280 dock set up. I have most of the pieces now but need a few more.

HP Recommended

7 Secs to shut down and 15 secs to cold boot. Good enough for military work eh! SANDISK  cheapo 480.

HP Recommended

No SSD SATA 3 2.5 " bays of any kind in this box. You have to jerry rig the installation to place them in the empty HD bay after removing the HD. Specs say there is a 2.5 inch empty bay! Right! No empty bays of any kind in this box unless you remove something.

Removed the Sandisk and replaced it with two ADATA 800 1 TB drives. Better preformance and no check disk error on some boots like I was getting with the Sandisk. Finished with Sandisk products after this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.