Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z620 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a Radeon Pro WX 7100 in Slot 2 and Slot 5, the slots listed as compatible with GPUs. However, I want another card in slot 4 for a total of 3 VGA cards. Would it be possible to put an x8 VGA card in Slot 4?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have Z600

I have a Radeon Pro WX 7100 in Slot 2 and Slot 5, 

the slots listed as compatible with GPUs. However,

I want another card in slot 4 for a total of 3 VGA cards. (is this 3 displaces or BITCOIN MINE dream box>???? applications matter)

Would it be possible to put an x8 VGA card in Slot 4? (i don't know if BIOS allows this , id have to try)

if the x8 slot   on some PC (look) have the x8 jack with slots on end allowing x16 to insert,

my Z600 mobo is silk screen clear as day,  slot for is x16

slot 3 is x8 (4)   means and is open end slotted, you should your slot markings'

it implies too slot power limits,  75watt marked on x16 is clear and PC spec, but many other slots on most PCs not setup for 2 GPU cards have 45watt slots and can not run ever any 75watt up GPU. BSOD it will

but some old also GPU will work 20watts.  lost of those around for $10 used, endless.  (but GS8400) run w10 @ 5 FPS

amd 5450 does  5PFS gamed , rated slug.

nvida  w10 works on

8100 to 8800, and higher series 9, series 100 to 900, series 10, and 16 and 20, up. (8100 is the oldest card circa 2008 year old)

NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have Z600

I have a Radeon Pro WX 7100 in Slot 2 and Slot 5, 

the slots listed as compatible with GPUs. However,

I want another card in slot 4 for a total of 3 VGA cards. (is this 3 displaces or BITCOIN MINE dream box>???? applications matter)

Would it be possible to put an x8 VGA card in Slot 4? (i don't know if BIOS allows this , id have to try)

if the x8 slot   on some PC (look) have the x8 jack with slots on end allowing x16 to insert,

my Z600 mobo is silk screen clear as day,  slot for is x16

slot 3 is x8 (4)   means and is open end slotted, you should your slot markings'

it implies too slot power limits,  75watt marked on x16 is clear and PC spec, but many other slots on most PCs not setup for 2 GPU cards have 45watt slots and can not run ever any 75watt up GPU. BSOD it will

but some old also GPU will work 20watts.  lost of those around for $10 used, endless.  (but GS8400) run w10 @ 5 FPS

amd 5450 does  5PFS gamed , rated slug.

nvida  w10 works on

8100 to 8800, and higher series 9, series 100 to 900, series 10, and 16 and 20, up. (8100 is the oldest card circa 2008 year old)

HP Recommended

rules (not gaming)

slot must be BIOS allowed for GPU.  (I have zero answers for any BITCOIN madness, now and for ever)

any card that fits works. x1 to x4 up works

and x16 can fit some X8 or X4 slots if end cut on front end of jack (just one glance ahhhhhhhh) mine IS.

but slots have power limits, and must not be violated ever.

The NON-GPU class slots on VAST makers of PC mobo are in fact limited to,  25w, 35w, and 45watt not normal 75w

but if GPU is below that wattage (3d fully clocked up) and BIOS happy it works.

if you violate  power rules the PC BSOD's  BAM.

top makers of gaming rigs cover all this in there spec..  Asus is one ,

what I say is spurge and buy a $10 card, old, see if it works,  I keep boxes full  of them for testing. or? learning what works.

the other problem is share PCI-e lanes, doing things like this and now running real slow.

some slots marked x8(4) ARE 4 channels only , be sure to read the spec on that.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance,

The card is a Radeon Pro WX 3100, which has a TDP of <50W.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance,

The card is a Radeon Pro WX 3100, which has a TDP of <50W

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.