cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
oit1976
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP z640 workstation bios downgrade

HP Recommended
HP Z 640 Workstation

Hi, collegues!

I have a Z640 Workstation and it is using with an old video card Nvidia Quadro FX 4800. I had little issues with video, so I decided to update bios of the workstation. I didn't now that there is an important point that video card should support UEFI, and after bios update my workstation gave me a sound signal and didn't boot up. I've tried to clear CMOS, but the machine still doesn't boot. Also I made an attempt to reprogram bios with flash drive and BBR jumper on a motherboard, but with no result.

As far as I understand, it may be useful to downgrade bios to some older version. But HP removed older versions from its tech support website. So, I want to ask you guys if someone could provide me with such one, I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Regards,

Oleg

3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
138,174 90,887 21,336 28,238
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Oleg:

if you click on the most recent BIOS update (v02.56), there is a previous versions section at the bottom of the description.

You can go back as far as version 02.48.

Рабочая станция HP Z640 Загрузки ПО и драйверов | Служба поддержки HP®

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
oit1976
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul, for your response, I obviously overlooked this option. Unfortunately, I was unable to load a firmware from the link, a motherboard gives 8 times sound signal, for the bios.

Maybe someone here has earlier version? Year 2015 or so?

Strange, it seems to me that a motherboard can load only current or higher version of bios.

Is it a bios chip failure? Should I  replace a motherboard?

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
138,174 90,887 21,336 28,238
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may have to resort to replacing the motherboard unless someone else has another suggestion you can try.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation