Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6804 QP725AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion p6804 QP725AA that has been getting ever slower, to the point it takes more than an hour to boot up and each click of the mouse more than 20 minutes.  Now I know why... Harddrive Imminent Failure warning has appeared.  I am going to replace the harddrive.  I am backing up what I can.  I hope to use recovery cd's to start the new drive.  My concern is that the recovery cd's were created on Windows7 when the computer was new (5 years ago).  I did do the Win10 upgrade.  Will Windows 10 remember this computer or am I going to have to pay for it now? And is it really as easy as just sticking in the Recovery CD once the drive has been changed out? Will the partition(s) be created, etc. or is there more to it?  I do my own comp maintenance (simple stuff) like add a PCIe card, change out power supplies or bad dvr drive, even the fan in my laptop, but I have never done the hard drive.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JustPractical

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Once your PC was Upgraded to Win10, it was registered with the MS Activation Servers.  So, now, you can reinstall Win10 on the same PC, and once you connect to the Internet, it will be reactivated.  Just make sure when you install in to skip over the function for entering a product code.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JustPractical

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Once your PC was Upgraded to Win10, it was registered with the MS Activation Servers.  So, now, you can reinstall Win10 on the same PC, and once you connect to the Internet, it will be reactivated.  Just make sure when you install in to skip over the function for entering a product code.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.