Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 X-series (i9)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone, 

I can't get the BIOS to recognize my Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drive (2 TB).  Although it's gen 4, it should revert to gen 3.  The closest that the BIOS comes to recognizing it is that the M.2 bus speed changes from the default (2.5 Gb/s) to 8 Gb/s - so it must "kind of see it," since the bus speed changes.  The drive does not show up in the drives list for the Boot Order or diagnostic menus.  I've added two SATA drives at different times with no problems.   I've found the BIOS to be like nothing I've seen - clunky and complex and haven't had time to research all the pieces that might be impacting this (Security settings).  I also tried the BIOS troubleshooter and selected the option (2) related to drives not being recognized.  It only found my 3 SATA drives (2 SSDs and a mechanical HD) and the tests "passed."  For fun, I did try the partitioning util in Win10 and didn't see it.  I did call HP, and while the tech was very nice and patient, the line was "only HP drives are guaranteed to work").  Mainly we updated the drivers using their online resource.  Of course not helpful for a BIOS issue...  I have upgraded to the latest BIOS (2.56? from memory).  It came with the previous version, which didn't work either.  I did not try downgrading twice from here though.  I did pull the "imposter" brand RAM out, but didn't help either.

Thanks for your consideration.

jv

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

PS - I forgot to mention that the BIOS hangs for 3.5 minutes before going into the setup screen with the drive installed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.