Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop - 510-p127c PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Still having problems with the heat sink fan speeding up randomly.

Kumar 0307 made some suggestions, and after doing all the steps he suggested, I still have the fan problem.

I occasionally get a 90B statement indicating a problem with the heat sink fan

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@dudger Welcome back! I suggest you follow the steps for Reducing Heat Inside the PC to resolve this issue, and if you've done everything mentioned in it and yet the issue persists, use the steps mentioned here for Updating the BIOS, and let me know how that goes, once done.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Have you replaced the fan? - You can google the HP Part number from the sticker on the side of the fan.
Issue could be the fan or the connector on the mainboard. The cpu fan & chassis fan should have the same type of plug, so try swapping them over on the mainboard and see if the error moves to the chassis fan. if it does, then it's the connector on the mainboard.

HP Recommended

Hello

Cant swap the fans. The heat sink fan is 4 pin, the chassis fan is 3 pin

Should I replace the fan?

HP Recommended

Up dated the Bios, still have fan randomly, speeds up 

HP Recommended

Hi,

You could try to replace the fan, That would be the cheapest troubleshooting option.

How's the thermal paste? Is it old and crusty? Is there enough there? Is the fan ramping up under load or anytime?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.