Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So everyone, My PC boots in 30mins.
Process of boot:
I click start button on my Case, it starts. I see HP logo, And an error comes:
S.M.A.R.T. Hard Drive detects imminent failure.
8192MB

pls.png

Theres that. i press f1 to boot, it now is on a blue windows logo booting screen. It takes approximately 15mins on that screen, the other 3mins on a black screen that appears after the blue logo screen goes away, and the password screen (or pin). I enter password and press enter, when im on desktop, i open one application such as my browser and everything gets unresponsive. Even the desktop, Microsoft windows isnt responding, End Process, clicking end process doesnt do anything. This goes on for another 10mins, while the computer becomes usable, and i start my work. (i have already backed up important data). This is the boot up process.

I used CrystalDiskMark and CrystalDIskInfo, Results are:

unknown

and,

unknown

It is pretty clear my HDD is saying a goodbye, but i wanted to make sure, that it ACTUALLY is the HDD, and not something else right?
Why do i say not something else? It is because on the Smart hard drive detects imminent failure error, theres a number written: 8192MB, i got 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD. MY SPECS:

Core i5 2400 2nd Generation @ 3.10GHz
Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit)
Nvidia Geforce Gtx 750 (1GB VERSION)
ORIGINAL PC: HP Compaq 8400.

If you're sure its the hard drive, let me know what that "8192MB" is.

Also let me know if there are anything i should worry about while buying an HDD or SSD, except the SIZE and SATA. (that it will fit on my PC or not)

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@TheVortex71 , welcome to the forum.

I believe that it is your hard drive that has failed.  I am not certain what the 8192 MB is, but it may be the sector where the drive has failed.  I would definitely replace the drive with a SSD.  It will speed up your boot times and improve system performance overall.  I suggest that you consider the Samsung EVO 860 - 1 TB.  However, I recommend that you contact Samsung's Tech Support to make certain it will work.  They are the experts on their products.  Your computer was released in 2012.  So, you are adding new technology to old technology and it doesn't always play nice together.  It will save you time and money.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.