Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an older HP wireless keyboard and mouse ( model #5187URF2+) it is a set that came with my computer and it includes a plug in USB reciever that you place on your desk. Here is the problem the newer wireless keyboards and mouse include a USB dongle that plugs to a USB port I have tried several brands of these and they all do not work well with my computer. Each and every one I have tried causes multiple issues so i have given up on them and went back to the old wireless keyboard/mouse combo the set still works great but there are no software or driver updates available for the old wireless set when running the new Windows 7 64 bit for a multimedia computer. I get the basic typing funtions, which is great, but most of the special keys on the keyboard will not work and on the HP website the last update for my wireless keyboard and mouse were for XP which will not work. Does anyone know if  there are any updates or, if something is available that will help, or is there a manufacturer out there that still makes a wireless set that has the desktop reciever which has always worked great and never had issues like the USB dongle technology seems to have. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on this issue.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Not to redirect this post from wanting help with drivers for an older device but that is where I am going to take this. What are the issues you are experiencing when using a dongle or mini-dongle that comes with a wireless desktop mouse/keyboard set???

Both my wife and myself experienced lagging, skipping, stuttering, missed clicks, and missed key stokes when using a dongle plugged directly into the front or back of the computer. I tried various things related to drivers to resolve these issues but nothing corrected my problems. It wasn't until I connected a 6' USB extension cable to the dongle and placed the dongle under my monitors, near the keyboard that everything cleared up. You may want to try something like this to see if it cures your ills.

Frank

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Just a general note for everyone coming by here ... nearly all of the newer USB "dongle"-based solutions use 2.4GHz. This is the same frequency range as 99% of wireless networks. The simple truth is that they are interfering with each other. Sadly, H-P's cost-cutting measures have resulted in them jumping on the 2.4 GHz bandwagon also so it is unlikely that their current wireless keyboard* will offer much more success than a decent Logitech. Sigh.

lasvegaswireman's solution is probably the best one can accomplish (because it moves the active part of the dongle to the close vicinity of the devices it's trying to talk to thus minimizing interference as much as it can).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=4056968

jim

H-P m7357c

with 5187urf2+ keyboard/mouse
and Acer H243H (the H-P 19" lasted 5 years or so)

P.S. If you are having problems with the left mouse button double- or mis-clicking, one suggestion would be to have a technician swap the left button and scroll wheel microswitches. That's my plan when the time comes (or they pry this XP system from my cold dead fingers LOL).

P.P.S. BTW, this model keyboard / mouse is no longer listed even in H-P Support so it is doubtful that H-P ever released any drivers after XP. I am curious to know how medwards15 made out.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.