Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
All-in-One 24-dp0158qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new 24" All-in-one (model number 24-dp0158qe) with Intel® Core™ i7-10510U (10th generation laptop-grade CPU). Since I am using it for work, as a software developer, I installed some fairly processor-intensive apps, including WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and upgraded Windows 10 Home (which it came with) to Enterprise Edition (and of course got the latest feature update, 20H2, which it didn't come with). 

After setting all that up, I noticed that the fan started running at high speed almost constantly, so I got Core Temp to measure the CPU temperature. Sure enough the temperature was consistently ranging between 55 and 80 degrees Celsius (with at least one core consistently above 70), quite high in my estimation. And this is despite my CPU usage being very low sometimes (25% or so).

I tried power saver mode, and the temperature range went down to 50-60 degrees, with fan spinning at medium or low, but still constantly audible, except 60-70 when CPU usage is high. Sometimes (but not always) when I first boot up, this doesn't happen, and even at recommended power level, the temperature stays at 45-50 with the fan barely audible. Last time I booted last night, this lasted for 20 hours or so. When I ran apps in WSL the above problem started again, but even stopping the app did not help. 

Is this normal for an HP all-in-one or is this an issue I need to take up with support?

Thanks in advance,

Boris Zakharin

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@bzakharin 

The CPU is Intel® Core™ i7-10510U (1.8 GHz base frequency), so when you stress it to ramp up to it's 4.9 GHz max, it is going to get loud.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

all air cooled PCs have fans and all make noise!! ( just like getting wet in the rain)😜

the other it gets are clocked fast it makes more heat  and the fans run faster to expel it ,

just like your petrol car does at a red light,. RAD FAN spins up fast. or overheats.😭

same on PCs,  the heat must be expelled.

not with standing old PCs dirty fans not ever cleaned or bad fan bearings of fan screws loose.

only knowing normal noise can one judge this. heard.

how old is this PC, that is first,  from day1 new and out of box age,

hours matter. years.

every one it seems whats silence then want it not to overheat or the intel self throttling at about 80c.

try new heat sink grease, (no arctic junk)

I use what intel uses, SHIN ETSU, 751,  actually works in real labs and not in some arctic basement.

fans clean , fins and heat sinks too blown clean as can be.

a real Desktop works far better.. why on try that?

Heat lowers the life span of chips and all things inside.

as tech I spent a life time doing that, that fight on thing far grander than here,  MIL GEAR.

ON real PC Desktop I'd have said add 2nd case fan.

but can not here,  no place for it. 

why do AIO, no space for 7" x19" case that is totally adaptable to years of upgrades?

anytime you put a huge box of hOT FAST 3d CHIPS IN SMALL CASE, how can you get the heat out, well noisy  fans is it.

pure physics that. or go water cooled, or a very expensive no fan PC.  IMO !!!😎

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

20%

my text to your right now is 1% CPu  (no you>?) why? (firefox v79 only)

gen 7 Intel

GTX1650 .

low heat,

what is clocking that CPU so high , it tells you what in the task manager,

CMOS uses near zero power not clocked at all or slow, when you crank up clocking tons of heat happens even 140watts on some CPU, I have 1 GPU card  i the box her that burns 250watts all by itself. (old and fast) burns = wasted heat.

my  PC is set up speed step and no sleep Game box fast)

uses 25 watts on the AC line (watt meter in line)  loafs, until  launch say METRO LL, and 3d max, full textures all.

(have fancy lab here , scopes and even high speed current probes here)

and then blows lost of heat about 250watts,  out rear of my huge PSU and huge rear fan, slow speed it runs very quite

no fans on earth more quiet that huge real desktop fans. and my BIOS has custom fan profile my me. (asus z270prime)

Ok: find it:

find the 20% offender if just running desktop, no apps.

the best PC is with huge heatsinks and fans,  there is no better way air cooled. if you shrink either the fan must turn faster.

physics laws not repealed.

fans have thing called CFM large fans do same CFM as small but way slower and way way more quiet. (and is spec'd)_

my buddy here say , IT IS WHAT IT IS.... bad boy, lay down.🤡

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

@Wb2001,

As I said, I'm getting 55-80 degrees when CPU usage is at 25% or below except when in Power Save Mode, and it doesn't happen immediately on boot, even at the same CPU utilization. And the temperature stays at 55-80 when CPU is at 100% load. That tells me something is wrong. 

For comparison, my old laptop with a Core i7-7500U is at 40 when idle, 50 under 25%, and 70-75 under load. 

HP Recommended

Ok, let me ask some questions regarding my issue:

1. Is the temperature range I described normal for the computer I have?

2. Will fan working on high all the time damage the machine before its time?

3. Is the fan supposed to be so loud? My laptop fan is just a hiss. Even when it's on high, it's just a louder hiss. On this machine the fan is audible when it's above the lowest setting, and relatively loud when temperatures rise into the 60s or above. It's annoying if nothing else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.