Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion TG01-0030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased this PC new at the beginning of the month and after getting my gaming stuff set up and running I noticed she was running quite warm.  Using the Omen Command Center and Speccy/ CPUID i saw the temps just doing light web browsing were in the 50-60 range for the CPU.  It went up into the 70s during less intensive games and I noticed it got into the mid 80s during a few test runs of CS:GO.  Seeing how warm everything was getting i checked out the case and noticed the rear case fan wasnt even spinning.  All that hot air was just stagnant in there.  When I rebooted and checked bios I saw no settings related to the fan that I could modify to kick the fan on at a lower temp threshold or anything but i did notice on startup the fan would spin up for boot then stop altogether.

So im at the point where Im concerned about this new PC running far too hot and that case fan I dont think ever plans on actualy working when its needed.  Any suggestions on what to try?  Ive been looking for solutions for the fan but I dont know if its just dead when it needs to spin or whats going on.  I think the high temps are just the air not flowing for the most part.  Took the side case off for a while and watched the temp logs.  Didn't see higher than 62 from the temperature doing that but that's hardly a solution to the problem.

Its a bit heartbreaking that it seems so stressed just playing low intensity games on it.  Was hoping to use it for more gaming that my old computer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RatRob1986 , welcome to the forum.

I believe that the rear fan should be spinning at all times.  Have you tried giving it a bit of a manual spin to see if starts spinning on its own?  Sometimes this is all it takes to get it to run.  If this doesn't work, you should contact the seller for help.  If you bought it from HP Store, you should contact HP Customer Support.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Ive tried giving it a spin and it doesnt seem to want to move at all while the computer is on but like i said it gets power during boot up (during what i assume is the check by the computer to make sure it works).  All I can think is the BIOS has it set to only run when the temps get super high for NVH purposes, and not to run it all the time.  Ive tried everything i can think of to modify the fan and both the bios is locked down tight by HP and none of the programs I try seem to even recognize the fan being there.  I think its all locked up by the manufacturer so you cant fiddle with things which is annoying.

Ive devised a bit of a work around though.  I order a sata power connector that splits into four 4-pin fan leads.  Just gonna hard wire the case fan to the PSU to see it works at all.  If it does Ill just leave it like that, constantly powered all the time.  If it doesnt work Ill assume the fan is dead and buy a new one.  Either way I did order an 80mm fan to put on the side of the case where there's a spot for one too.  I even thought about modifying the case to add another fan since ill have the new connectors available.  Regardless, itll be getting airflow soon one way or another.  Im just a bit upset at how its setup from the factory and everything is locked down in the BIOS,  Id contact the seller but honestly I already have it all setup how i like it so i dont really want to wipe it and send it away to get checked out.

HP Recommended

@RatRob1986 

It is entirely up to you, but I would contact the seller if the fan doesn't work.  I am not aware of HP setting a fan curve that allows the fan to run at a certain temperature.  If this was done it would most likely have a setting in the BIOS to adjust it.  I suggest trying one of the third party apps that allow you to adjust the fans.

When adding fans you should assure that you keep a positive airflow/pressure to remove any dust inside of the case.  Here is a video that talks about airflow:

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.