Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite 8300 CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to move my W7 based system on a Gateway Profile AIO to an HP Elite 8300.

What would be the easiest way to do this?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If the operating system was preinstalled on your Gateway, then it has an OEM license which prohibits you from transferring the license or product key to another PC.

https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/3721/Can-I-transfer-my-OEM-version-of-Windows-to-another-P...

Is there a Windows 7 product key on your 8300 Elite?  If so what version of W7 is the key good for.

I can give you a link to download W7 Pro or Home Premium, which you can use to create bootable W7 installation media and use the W7 product key on your 8300 Elite's case to activate the installation.

HP Recommended

The Gateway came with XP.

I purchased a Full Retail Version of 7-Pro to upgrade it.

It is also HP Version of 7-Pro.

HP Recommended

The only way I know that you can do that would be to read the info at the link below.

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Install-Windows-7-With-Upgrade-Media

HP Recommended

Just checking!

Using the Link you referred me to, I may be able to migrate my:

Windows-7 Pro system which resides on a Gateway Profile 6.6 to a

Windows-7 Pro system which will reside on an HP Elite 8300 CMT.

I hope it will work as there is so much stuff / history on the Gateway.

I will run an external backup and a clone just in case.

Any odds on my success?

HP Recommended

The link I referred you to will clean install W7 to the 8300 Elite, not transfer the whole OS with all of your user data to the PC.

I have no idea how you can transfer the whole OS to the PC.

Unless the Gateway PC has relatively the same hardware (processor, chipset, etc), it probably won't boot up if you clone the drive.

I would definitely recommend you have a way to reinstall your files and have program installation disks/applicable keys to install on the new W7 installation on the 8300 Elite if cloning the drive causes the PC not to boot up.

If it doesn't work go the clean install route.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.