cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
m_w_stroberg
Level 1
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How do I increase dedicated video memory on HP Pavilion p6130y

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6130y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion p6130y desktop computer with 8GB of RAM. This model comes equipped with an integrated on-board NVIDIA GeForce 9100 video adapter.

I have got to believe there is a way to increase the amount of memory dedicated to the on-board video adapter, but I have looked through every conceivable BIOS setting and have come up empty. I have a multi-boot system with Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit and Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit. For my personal use I usually boot to the more modern Windows 10, and use the Vista OS for testing various types of legacy software. The amount of memory currently allocated for the graphics apparently is quite low, as the Windows Vista installation can not enable AERO effects, and virtual machines in vmWare Workstation running on the Windows 10 host OS have no 3D hardware acceleration.

Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2 REPLIES 2
m_w_stroberg
Author
Level 1
3 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, apparently I have plenty of Video memory allocated. I discovered this by running the NVIDIA Control Panel and examining the properties of the display adapter. All it took to enable the AERO capabilities in Windows Vista was to run the following command from an Administrator command prompt:

rundll32.exe dwmApi DwmEnableComposition

I still don't know why in Windows 10 I cannot get 3D acceleration for vmWare guest OSes. I will keep looking.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mark

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Prométhée
Level 16
9,514 9,373 966 3,368
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

you have an integrated video card, it may be too old for windows 10 .. Sometimes, it is enough just to update the video driver, but it may not be possible for this version of windows anymore!

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

was this reply helpful , or just say "thank you " ? Click on the yes button 
Desktop-Knowledge-Base

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation