Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen #870-119
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am a little confused with the SATA ports on my desktop. The reason why I am asking is that I open up the desktop and check the SATA ports on the motherboard of my desktop. There are three SATA ports and what are these for? I was planning to add another SSD beside the hard drive and SSD already in use.  I know that I can disconnect the cable for DVD drive and use external DVD drive so I can plug the SSD cable in that spot but saw others are empty with different colour.

Please advise about this.

Thank you,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry but ultimately the question was:
There are three SATA ports and what are these for?
And I answered this question, giving you documents that explain this ..
The available SATA ports, if you mean the ones I have indicated, are the sata ports, for DATA transfer!
And I just find it abnormal that they are not connected
This is basically my question, since you seem to have changed the power supply module.
Why, the hard disk and the DVD player, are not connected
If they were never connected, the computer could not work!
If you have not connected a sata cable from the hard drive to the motherboard, but only to your power supply, I do not understand how the computer can work.
But if not, the answer is simple the sata ports here, are for connecting sata devices

it's pretty clear here though

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02961221

Figure : Example of SATA connections on a hard drive

•  1 Power cable
  •  2 SATA data cable

Hard drives with SATA data cables and connections

Figure : SATA ports on the motherboard

SATA ports on the motherboard

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Media-Center-m8700-Desktop-PC-series/3891409/docume...

regardless of the computer model, it is always the same
A sata cable, connected to the hard drive and to the motherboard, for data transfer
And the cable that connects the power supply to the hard drive so that it can work

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello
I'm afraid I don't understand ..
Unless it is not this model, can you confirm the product No.P / N

870-119 Product Specifications

Product Number X6F75AA

Here there is SSD, and HDD and DVD player

But so I only see three dark blue, white, and light blue SATa ports, so all three must be used ??

Odense-2S motherboard specifications.

Odense2-S motherboard top view
There would therefore be no choice to sacrifice the DVD player!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and here is my product number you requested. And here is below:

HP Omen #870-119

Serial Number:  [Private information removed]

Product No.  X6F75AA#ABL

That is the motherboard you posted and it have 3 SATA ports. Right now the SATA ports are empty -- nothing to plug in.  Because of the better power supply unit that I have in my desktop -- Corsair 650 Watts which come with several cables and one for the hard drive and other for Solid State Drive that are connected together. That is why I am asking about the empty SATA ports on the motherboard to see if I can plug between the second SATA drive and SATA port on my motherboard.

Hope that will help you understand better than my first message.

Thank you again,

John

HP Recommended

No, sorry, I admit being a little confused, the translation may not help, but I will try to be clear
If the computer shown here is original, unless you have changed the power supply, the rest should be connected!
From what I understand, there is an original SATA SSD, sata hard drive, and sata DVD drive.
These three elements must be connected to the motherboard, for reading and writing data!
the sata ports here are those for data!
The other connectors are to power the devices!
This is what I do not understand from you, why are they not connected to the motherboard ..

Hard Drive Replacement Instructions

https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c01035705

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I guess that the best thing is for you not to answer to my reply. I gave up because you still don't understand what I am talking about. I think that the best for me is speak to a tech support at Staples or Best Buy in my area and see what they have to say about this.

Thank you,

John

HP Recommended

Sorry but ultimately the question was:
There are three SATA ports and what are these for?
And I answered this question, giving you documents that explain this ..
The available SATA ports, if you mean the ones I have indicated, are the sata ports, for DATA transfer!
And I just find it abnormal that they are not connected
This is basically my question, since you seem to have changed the power supply module.
Why, the hard disk and the DVD player, are not connected
If they were never connected, the computer could not work!
If you have not connected a sata cable from the hard drive to the motherboard, but only to your power supply, I do not understand how the computer can work.
But if not, the answer is simple the sata ports here, are for connecting sata devices

it's pretty clear here though

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02961221

Figure : Example of SATA connections on a hard drive

•  1 Power cable
  •  2 SATA data cable

Hard drives with SATA data cables and connections

Figure : SATA ports on the motherboard

SATA ports on the motherboard

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Media-Center-m8700-Desktop-PC-series/3891409/docume...

regardless of the computer model, it is always the same
A sata cable, connected to the hard drive and to the motherboard, for data transfer
And the cable that connects the power supply to the hard drive so that it can work

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

There we goes now and thank you for your explanation now about this. Yes the power supply was changed by my son which was upgraded to 650 watts from the original power supply with 300 watts. The power supply unit is Corsair which have lots of cables that come with PSU. 

Thank you,

John

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.