Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
presario CQ5500f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just installed Gigabyte Radeon RX460 4GB Windforce OC but the only port that works is the onboard.
fans don't spin, nothing happens. the prior NVIDIA card worked fine just with a noisy busted fan.
Machine - HP/CP CQ5500f
mobo - pegatron narra5 which also seems to be known as M2N68-LA
BIOS - Phoenix tech 5.58 3/16/2010
PSU - 500W (recently installed so as to update card)
slot - PCIe x16

this card does not take an extra power cord, it draws it all from the slot
Speccy says the slot is empty so the mobo is not finding it.
thought to update the BIOS but an update does not seem to exist.
My frustrating research shows that this card and mobo should play together they are being stubborn.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am trying to grow my hair but this has me pulling it out.
I have a new CPU on the way, hope this does not indicate things to come.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@shinyo

The AMD 460 is a UEFI enabled graphics card and the BIOS in your PC is not UEFI.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The motherboard specs on your machine only gives the following information:

• One PCI Express x16
  • Two PCI Express x1
  • One PCI

Source: http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c01701270

We don't the generation of the PCIe slots but machine is around 7 or 8 years old I think the PCIe slpots could be Gen 2. Please check the following information:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/104406/

I would think it is from 25W to 60W that why all higher specs cards need power cables.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@shinyo

The AMD 460 is a UEFI enabled graphics card and the BIOS in your PC is not UEFI.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thank you, I discovered that last night. I just wish the vendor or the mfg had felt like mentioning that this card requires UEFI. I did a lot of research before hand and had no idea this was an issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.