Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY 795-0087c desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What cables etc are required to add WD1tb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jrhtrader,

The Berks motherboard is supplied to the HP 795 series.  The stock configuration includes the following.

1) M.2 socket 3 SSD

2) if a DVD drive is installed, the  Main SATA power cable (an 8 pin socket on the motherboard ) has 2 connectors on the cable, a SATA hard drive, and power plug for the DVD drive.

3) Near the bottom portion of the motherboard is the secondary SATA power header. It has no cable attached.

4) All hard drives utilize 4 HP Blue Isolation screws. You must have these odd screws.

Just look inside your unit.😁

Internal view of a disassembled HP 795 series

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@jrhtrader , welcome to the forum.

Here is a guide that shows you the type of cables that you will need and how to install the drive.  You can buy the SATA cables from any online seller, such as, Newegg.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@jrhtrader,

The Berks motherboard is supplied to the HP 795 series.  The stock configuration includes the following.

1) M.2 socket 3 SSD

2) if a DVD drive is installed, the  Main SATA power cable (an 8 pin socket on the motherboard ) has 2 connectors on the cable, a SATA hard drive, and power plug for the DVD drive.

3) Near the bottom portion of the motherboard is the secondary SATA power header. It has no cable attached.

4) All hard drives utilize 4 HP Blue Isolation screws. You must have these odd screws.

Just look inside your unit.😁

Internal view of a disassembled HP 795 series

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. Drives installed; connected data cables.

Power cables another matter. There is a 6 pin male labelled "SATA Power" on the motherboard close  to the data cable outlets.

Do I use this to connect?

HP Recommended

Sata data cables no problem, but power cable for additional 1 T drives is the issue.

There is a 6 pin plug in on the MB labeled " SATA POWER", one I had doesn't work.

Neither BIOS nor W10 Disk management sees the added drives.

BTW, there appears to be no way the added drives can be slid into their slots same side up as the original 1T drive. I had to slide the in "upside down".

HP Recommended

Outside of ordering the SATA power cable L22276-001 or L22275-001 from the EU at !$60-$70, HP tells me that suppliers in the US should have this cable sometime soon. We shall see?

HP Recommended

So what was the answer on the SATA power cable?   Is this part available and where?

Did you figure out another solution to power the drive?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.