Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 30L Desktop - GT13-0149no
Linux

This is actually a two part question:

1) I want to know how is the best way to install a second SSD card. This includes both the process I should follow and some examples of compatible SSD models.  The Dorado motherboard has the following expansion slots:

• One M.2 socket 1, key A
  • Two M.2 socket 3, key M

I'm not quite sure what this means, to be honest. I'd appreciate some explanation on the differences between these. Finally I want to know what to watch out for when attempting to add a second SSD card.

2) Once I have the second card working, I want to install Ubuntu on it. At the moment I have Windows installed on the main SSD card, but I would like to have a dual boot setup. Once again, I would appreciate knowing what to watch out for when attempting to do this. Right now my plan is to use a bootable USB drive and selecting the second SSD in the partition menu, but I am concerned about messing up the booting process.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ritalaezza,

I can only tell you what I could find out.  I can not find any pictures of the motherboard and components.

According to the HP site , it has two M.2 socket 3, Key M ports.  One is occupied by a 32GB Optane data cache device, as shown here.  The other has the 256GB SSD device for WIN 10 and all other programs/files.  This is what a typical NVMe looks like.  Removing the 32GB Optane is very dangerous IF not done correctly,  you can lose data.

https://support.cyberpowerpc.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014775073-How-do-I-disable-Intel-Optane-

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Wb2001,

Here you can find the Motherboard specifications: https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c06633863. Here is the picture of the motherboard. I have highlighted (what I believe are) the M.2 socket 3, Key M ports, marked SSD1 and SSD2 on the board.

motherboard.png

On my PC I can see the two M.2 sockets and only one of them is occupied. I do not want to remove the one which is already installed and has Windows on it. I want to add a second one to the expansion slot. Right now I am considering the model: Kingston A2000 1024GB M.2 2280 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe).

HP Recommended

@ritalaezza 

There is a conflict in the specifications page.  The 32GB NVMe is an Optane device to speed up the data cache.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06645850

Hard drives

1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State

• Size: 1 TB
  • Interface: PCIe Gen 3
  • Type: M2 2280
This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Wb2001,

After taking a closer look, the SSD drive connected to the socket labelled SSD1, is the 32GB Optane device. I can't see it under Disk drives, in the device manager. I can however see it using Intel's software:

Optane.PNG

This just makes me more confused, since I now don't know where the main 1TB SSD is located. I can see clearly that there is nothing connected to the SSD2 socket.

HP Recommended

@ritalaezza,

Can you follow your computers SATA header cables. If there is a 1TB device, it must be SATA3.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

@Wb2001,

I looked a bit closer at the SSD card in slot SSD1 of the motherboard and it actually contains both drives, the 32 GB and the 1 TB.  So now it is time to get back to the original question: Can I safely add a second SSD card to the SSD2 slot? For example, the WD model I referred to in a previous post. How should I proceed with that, and how can I safely set up Ubuntu on it, as a dual boot option? Do you anticipate any problems I should be aware of before I go ahead with this?

HP Recommended

@ritalaezza,

The sockets you mention, SSD1 and SSD2 are single device sockets.

You referred to a " Kingston A2000 1024GB M.2 2280 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe)", not a WD device.

There are 2 SATA hard drive device headers.  These support a 2.5" SSD drive or 3.5" mechanical hard drive.

I know where you got that pic. Can you show a real pic of that board?  And some close-ups ?

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.