Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy h8-1410 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.  I am trying to add a 2nd optical drive to my h8-1410 desktop PC and am having issues.  I have added the drive to the expansion bay and now neither drive works.  I tried to follow the little directions I could find, but would appreciate it if anyone had any ideas or experience with this.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am not sure I understand what you are telling me
The first time, I told you to try the DVD player on your own!
it may not have been clear.
There I understand that your two drives are connected to the same SATA port ??
So, no , look at the motherboard here:

Motherboard Specifications, IPMMB-FM (Formosa)

Do already a simple test, leave aside the original reader, disconnect cables!
Then connect the new one on one of the free sata ports!
If it works then reconnect the other drive, on one of the remaining free SAta ports
There are at least 6 SATA, so there are normally enough

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello

HP ENVY h8-1410 Desktop PC
is it this model and not this one?

HP ENVY h8-1410ed Desktop PC

or

HP ENVY h8-1410eo Desktop PC

You say no drive works, but what exactly is it, error message, can you start windows, or not at all ??
If you only plug in the hard drive, does the computer work?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi. Sorry for my late response. My model is the h8 1410. 

I was able to get the system to recognize the original optical drive, but it will not see the 2nd installed optical drive. All other functionality on the desktop is normal.

Any other ideas.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

are you talking about a cd / dvd player?
you can see if it is visible in the bios?
did you try to disconnect the original one, and connect the second one instead?
the drive, is it new, salvage, exact model?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Yes, it is a CD/DVD drive.

I do not recall seeing it in my bios, but there is power, as I can open the DVD drive.

I have not tried swapping cables, but can try that.

It is the same model (HP SW810 660408-001), but was certified refurbished.

HP Recommended

hi

It is the same model (HP SW810 660408-001), but was certified refurbished.

So if it doesn't work instead of from the original one , you can resend it. a "chance" in two with this type of product that it is not in working order

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I did as you suggested.  I swapped drives with the cable, making the 2nd drive the primary and the original optical drive the secondary. The system would not recognize the 2nd optical drive and still thought of the original as "F" drive. 

The strange thing is that there is power to that second drive, so it's not completely not functional.  I don't understand it. I was really hoping to not deal with an external optical drive, but may have no choice.  Due to the age of my desktop, I am unsure of any new compatible internal optical R/W drives.

HP Recommended

no, it doesn't seem strange to me at all, the reader can be powered, open close, but not work
If it does not work in the place of the original one, it is because there is a problem
You should be able to install any DVD player, but I can't guarantee that.
Do you need another cd player at this point?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I did order a brand new optical drive.  It is an LG GH24NSC0B Optical R/W drive and the system is not recognizing it either.

I am really getting frustrated as this makes no sense.  So I have, what I believe to be, the larger SATA power cable piggybacked from the original to the new & the smaller SATA data cable is connected to the original.

Does that one need to move to the new one or does each one require a SATA data cable?  I am not sure if there is room on the mother board for an additional data cable?

HP Recommended

I am not sure I understand what you are telling me
The first time, I told you to try the DVD player on your own!
it may not have been clear.
There I understand that your two drives are connected to the same SATA port ??
So, no , look at the motherboard here:

Motherboard Specifications, IPMMB-FM (Formosa)

Do already a simple test, leave aside the original reader, disconnect cables!
Then connect the new one on one of the free sata ports!
If it works then reconnect the other drive, on one of the remaining free SAta ports
There are at least 6 SATA, so there are normally enough

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.