Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the motherboard layout - extremely helpful and informative.

With your help, I have found the missing ingredient all this time - the SATA cable which connects to the motherboard!  Having never done this type of thing before, I did not have an extra one and was not aware it was necessary.  I only thought I needed to use the piggy-back SATA cable from the original optical drive to the 2nd.

And I did previously swap drives, as you suggested - the problem being that I did not swap the SATA motherboard cable and left that on the original.  That is why the system saw that optical drive, even though the piggy-back SATA cable was not connected to it.

This afternoon, I swapped both SATA cables to the new optical drive I just purchased and the system saw it fine. So, I ordered another SATA motherboard cable, which will arrive tomorrow, and I will use that one for the new optical drive and will assume it should work.  The other good thing is that I purchased a new optical drive and will be using that one moving forward.  The refurbished one might have been fine, but it's definitely preferable to use the new optical drive.

Thank you so much for all of your help and patience.  As I stated, the missing piece was found!  🙂

HP Recommended

Great
thank you @Howie61 
But the best way to thank me would be to validate the solution by marking my answer!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.