Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP OMEN OBELISK PC 875-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently a snowstorm hit big in Texas and I wasn't home at the time because I was far away in a different area with family, but my pc was still plugged and I believe the snowstorm shorted my power supply cause it would no longer turn on when plugged in (atleast I hope only it got affected). Also yes, before we talk about testing it to see if the fans are running, if anything is running when pressing the power button, if I get voltage or not etc i've only been able to test these current methods:

1: Unplugged and reinserted the wire that hooks up to the wall to power the pc and that didn't work. I even patiently waited after every press for about 1 min-5 min.

2: checked if it was on by watching the case itself and seeing if the fans were moving to indicate if it was a clear motherboard issue or power supply issue so far and the fans didn't even respond at all, no lights, no immediate turn on and turn off, and no noise at all.

3: I even checked the wall outlet itself by using other forms of testing like using a laptop ac adapter plugged into a laptop, etc. The wall outlet works if your wondering.

4: I cannot do the voltage method because I have not worked on computers myself and although it probably sounds easy or looks easy, I do not trust myself to damage my pc any further if in fact it is just a simple power supply problem. Plus based on what i've seen online they don't look too expensive but that's for ones that aren't part of this factory pc  psu included case.

I used most common sense knowledge to only  get an educated guess to what the root cause is. I am not an expert by all means which is why I am asking my questions here.

Conclusion: Can I get the exact 500 W power supply on here? If so could someone send a link to buy? Also I have searched online and it seems its not a good idea to upgrade the power supply as its for ease of my case apparently but this is based on another persons question pertaining as to if he could upgrade his power supply with another gpu. but if it is, is it possible that I could just buy a better power supply or maybe the same but from amazon? 

for example: Amazon.com: MUSETEX 550 Watt Power Supply 80+ Bronze Certified Smart RGB Fan Non Modular PSU for Com... , or EVGA 500W 80+ White Power Supply - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

TDLR: Seems power supply isn't working by common testing. Was wondering if it was possible to maybe get another power supply (Link please) or maybe get a completely different from factory pc one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Mr_Lee_0-1616630564092.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mr_Lee , welcome to the Community.

You can actually use any standard ATX PSU with your motherboard.  I always recommend a full modular PSU for smaller cases.  They allow you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary.  This make more space for good airflow.  Here is a reasonably priced modular PSU that should work for you: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx550f-rgb-cp-9020216-na-550w/p/N82E16817139265?quicklink=true

You should measure the existing PSU and compare those measurements to the one in my link.  This will assure that it will fit.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mr_Lee , welcome to the Community.

You can actually use any standard ATX PSU with your motherboard.  I always recommend a full modular PSU for smaller cases.  They allow you to use only the cables that are absolutely necessary.  This make more space for good airflow.  Here is a reasonably priced modular PSU that should work for you: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx550f-rgb-cp-9020216-na-550w/p/N82E16817139265?quicklink=true

You should measure the existing PSU and compare those measurements to the one in my link.  This will assure that it will fit.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Ok thank you for the response! 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Mr_Lee!  Glad to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.