Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How to mount the second hard drive to HP PRO 3500 desktop?

I buy a hard disk SATA3 (1T) that I planned to mount it on my HP PRO 3500 desktop as the second hard drive of system. But after open the desktop, I found that is no space for the second hard drive! I can't believe my eyes that HP can do such mistake! Please help my find the way to mount it! There is no mechanical chasis or place to mount it and the factory hard drive 500M is to small. On it is Windows 8 Pro. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Actually no room for it:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Compaq-Elite-Pro/HP-Pro-3500-Series-Add-second-HD/td-p/587...

You can try to use the ODD bay.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Please be more detailed.

HP Recommended

Hi,

ODD is for Optical Disk Drive or CD/DVD drive. Based on the following link, it has 5.25" drive bay.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=5270849#!tab=features

You can use THIS bay (with caddy) to mount a second HDD on your machine. The caddy is something similar to the following kit:

http://www.eachbuyer.com/catalog/product/view/id/36841?curency=AUD&gclid=CIPvmbSfvbgCFYTApAodhxEA_w

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Noooo! I use that optical DVD drive! But HP seems to be a second hand IT producer if their engineers designed such a big mistake! Without prevent customers. They take money on a Hewlett Packard desktop which is bad and with hidden mistakes. I planned to call Police and Customer Care!

HP Recommended

Hi,

They have thousands of models to suite many needs. Looked like you did not research before going out to buy a machine.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Please! that isnt helpful!  If you cant say something useful dont waste space by condeming peoples choices!

There is no caddy inside the hp pro 3500, nor is there access to install a caddy in the actual space which would accomodiate a double drive caddy as the motherboard would have to be removed first and the existing HDD is pop riveted on the inside (inaccessable)
I've also looked at HP's site and forum and its a no there too.
Any internal slave drive in one of this model would be grimly known as a botch job! and therefore for your own self protection you best remove any link to this model of computer from your ad since you realise what ebay complainers would do!

HP slipped up here in its design..........the leads for an extra drive are there as is the physical space but they designed the case badly for access!

Removing a functioning cd is a poor choice too, What do you do if you need to run a CD???

Since the wires are there a little imagination is all thats needed to securely mount a slave drive behind the main HDD.

I have to do it and I assure you I will, I just havent decided how yet!

Oh, and I did buy the right machine and there wernt thousands to choose from, infact not even 10!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.