Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion slimline s5310y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i know i have a pretty out of date desktop the hp pavililon slimline s5310y, i just...idk if i should upgrade it or not, internal wise Gpu, Psu  i just dont know if its worth it i want to make a gaming pc and this was just lying around its got a 3.0ghz cpu amd athlon 64x2 5000 but then again not sure it could be a 2.6ghz, my first upgrade was going to be a 500w Psu unless it kills the system, but idk about a graphics card my actual full on build was going to be a ttoatl of $1200 im 17 and dont know bout that about spending that much but it would be am4 ig im trying to say is can this pc even play some of our modern day games, Granted it being upgraded of course...?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JessTheBless , welcome to the forum.

Personally, if it were me in your position, I would save my money and buy a new computer.  Your computer was released in 2009.   This means that all of the components are out of date.  Finding the components to upgrade would be a challenge.  Slimline models simply aren't meant to be upgraded.  The small cases will cause a lot of heat with higher power components.

The least expensive new computer would be light-years ahead of your computer.  If you decide to buy a new computer I would be glad to help you find one that meets your needs.  I just need to know the type of games that you want to play and how much you want to spend.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JessTheBless , welcome to the forum.

Personally, if it were me in your position, I would save my money and buy a new computer.  Your computer was released in 2009.   This means that all of the components are out of date.  Finding the components to upgrade would be a challenge.  Slimline models simply aren't meant to be upgraded.  The small cases will cause a lot of heat with higher power components.

The least expensive new computer would be light-years ahead of your computer.  If you decide to buy a new computer I would be glad to help you find one that meets your needs.  I just need to know the type of games that you want to play and how much you want to spend.

HP Recommended

games like R6, Cod, car games, forza, and possibly vr, my thing is i bought a 32in curved gaming monitor bout $300 Aoc 1080p 144hz want a pc that can play that im willing to spend the for future proof i was seeing if my hp pavilion could maybe be used for like r6. i wanted to see if i couldnt get my hp pavilion gaming worthy so my nephew could play on it, its just future proof is expensive, (My pc build i'm)-(Off topic srry) thinking about includes CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 3800x         Gpu-2070s       Psu-750W          MBD-Bf-450 gaming tomahawk that's just a bit of stuff in total its $1,289 bit spendy but idk if its worth it idk if there's stuff cheaper. Anyways sorry for the rambling thanks for the help 

HP Recommended

@JessTheBless, the components that you listed are very good.  Frankly, if you want to game with pleasure, I recommend staying with these components.  I would suggest a MSI RTX 2070 to go with the motherboard.  Adding a M.2 SSD, as your boot drive will increase system performance considerably.  You can buy a Samsung 970 Pro, 512 GB, for $169.  I like Corsair PSU's.

Here are a couple of HP computers that would be good for the games that you want to play: https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=30744573...

https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=30744573...

They are Configure To Order (CTO) so you can add components if needed.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.