Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc7600 Small Form Factor
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My pc reads cds but not dvds. I do believe that it should read dvds since it says on the optical disk drive dvd rom. Is it the drivers or what. I dont think that its the drivers since driverbooster says that they are up to date. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

That PC has many options available.

To give a good explanation,  post the make and model number of the drive, it would be most helpful to give a meaningful answer.

BTW: even if the drive was DVD capable, it must be rather old, if the original drive and the DVD portion might have failed. 

Please post the DVD drive make and model for a clear solution.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan how do i find the model name/number?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Open Device Manager.  On the DVD/CD-ROM drives category, click on the right pointing arrow.  It will change to a down pointing arrow and list the DVD/CD drives.  The listing will indicate the type of drive it is and the model number.  Some do list the make, but for some it is not obvious.  It will list the model number.  Post that info back here.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan

It says LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4836K ATA Device

That was all i could find, hope this helps.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Yes, that helps.  That drive is rated as a " LITEON - 48X/32X/48X/16X IDE INTERNAL CD-RW/DVD-ROM COMBO DRIVE (SOHC-4836K)" which means it should be able to read and write CD's and read DVD's.  Considering the age of that drive, I would just assume the DVD portion has failed.  It is so old that finding a replacement of the same type will be difficult, however the motherboard does have SATA ports.  So if there is a free SATA port, you could replace the old IDE drive with a SATA DVD drive.  They are relatively cheap, just an example

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-DRW-24F1ST-SUPERMULTI-Burner-SERIAL/dp/B00D2CO8WO/ref=asc_df_B00D2CO8WO/...

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan

So it's basicly broken ...ok then.

Thanks for the help anyway, hope you have a wonderful day!

HP Recommended

Yes, sorry.  Basically broken, but relatively easy to replace and not too expensive.

You could even use an external DVD/CD drive, if you do not wish to get inside to change the drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.